Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i have an RG1550, and recently i've been having problems with my pickup switch.
when switching to the 1st position (bridge humbucker only), sometimes the guitar goes silent, or has very low output, i need to play with the pickup switch a little bit (not changing position, just moving up or down) to get the guitar to sound normally. sometimes turning the volume knob abit also helps.
anyone has any idea what that is and how it could be fixed? i'd like to try doing it myself since last time the repair guy broke a few strings while taking off the pickguard, and id rather not pay someone to do half-assed work if i could repair it myself.
guides for taking off the pickguard would be very appreciated also.

(i was not sure where to post this but if this belongs in the pickups & wiring forum by all means move it there)

·
Registered
33 Posts
the reason you are getting erratic output from that switch position is because you probably play most of the time in the bridge position a vast majority of the time and you pickup switch stays in that position during all that time. You have either a "dirty" switch in that position or its worn. If you don't have this problem in other positions then the problem is in the stationary part of the switch. If it is in all postions then its the "wiper" part of the switch (the contact) which is the part of the switch that is connected to the piece that you move with your hand on the selector switch. They are cheap enough to just replace. You get a cheap made in china or korea one and you'll be dealing with the problem again soon enough. Get a good quality dimarzio or equivalent and be done with it.

There is no easy way to replace the switch on a front routed guitar. Fiddle with the trem while lifting the pickguard out or remove your strings then do it...then get re-setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i indeed use the bridge pickup like 95% of the time, and the problem happens only with the bridge position
i didn't quite understand what does the "stationary part of the switch" mean... could you elaborate a little more about how to take care of this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
your pickup selector switch has 2 key elements. the stationary part of the switch which has the pickup wiring conencted to the terminals of each respective contact. Then there is a common contact which is movable to connect to each of the stationary contacts to make that specific pickup(s) the active pickup. The movable contact is physically attached to the shaft which is what you are grabbing ahold of when you move your pickup selector switch. You could spray some electro-clean and it might get it to work for awhile or along time.....but since you are going to be in there anyway you might as well spend the $10-$15 for a quality switch and replace it. Not too mention the chance that the electro-clean or equivalent hurting the finish of your guitar if you get carried away with the spraying.
Is your configuration the very common 5 position NON JEM switch?
Let me know and I'll get you links to all kinds of choices to fix your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
standard 5 way switching i guess... i have never took the pickguard off either so i could use some guidance so that i dont screw anything up like tearing off some soldered cable or something.

Attachments

·
Vendor
26,313 Posts
The GAE 5 that's in it isn't the best switch, but I don't sell that many of them which usually means it's very dependable. The problem with other switches is usually you have to use their screws, which probably will not match the screws you have now.

Pull the bridge with the strings on, there is no re-setup.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/remove.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
here are some replacements for yours:

check your pm had to send links there because of the lame min post rule to post links

Any one of these should fit fine in your guitars' cavity and are of good quality.

if you dont know how to solder i would not try learning on your guitar. You could easily overheat your pickup wiring melting away the insulation. Usually all that is needed to pull the pickguard totally out is desoldering the output jack depending on if your output jack wiring is ran through a hole(tunnel) in the body

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback guys, i indeed do not know how to solder, so i guess ill just get one of those and take it to the guitar tech, rather than risk screwing something up

is it worth trying to spray some WD-40 into the little cavity that holds the pickup switch?

·
Registered
33 Posts
good gawd NO! While wd40 does make a decent electrical connection cleaner on boat trailers or campers .....dont use it on your guitar! The oil will attract dust collection and you dont want that oil residue on your pickups attacking the potting compound or your finish.

·
Vendor
26,313 Posts
You can't hurt the finish on your 1550 with WD40. Many here have used it on frozen pots to bring them back. I advocate electronic cleaner and lubricant. You should be able to find it in any electronics store similar to a Radio Shack in the US.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can't hurt the finish on your 1550 with WD40. Many here have used it on frozen pots to bring them back. I advocate electronic cleaner and lubricant. You should be able to find it in any electronics store similar to a Radio Shack in the US.
so basically you're saying that WD-40 is fine but id rather get electronic cleaner?
and also - should i still take off the pickguard or just spraying in the little hole is ok too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts