Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of sounds does the different postions produce in a H H pickup configuration ?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/products/eg/pickup/images/04_hh.gif

I'm searching for a guitar with a fixed bridge and a H S H pickup configuration but it seems that Ibanez doesn't have a product that corresponds to that description, so I'm thinking about getting a SA2020FM (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/products/eg/page/SA2020FM_VV.html) but I'm not sure though, because I'm afraid it won't be as versatile as a guitar with a H S H configuration.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
In certain HH guitars, you can get coil tapping from both, either via a push-pull pot or a special switch. This makes the humbuckers split into single coils and only utilize one half at once. This usually results in a slightly-strattier, but thinner sound that has very little mids. JS's have this kind of set up, and position 2 and 4 of Jems and higher end Rg's come with this on their bridge and neck pups. If you don't mind the slightly not-as-good single coil sound (i.e. tend to be just bridge or just neck) then it should be fine. Its also just a simpler getup.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmm was about to create a similar thread on this.

Im kinda confuse about it, in position 1, it uses the neck pickup, and in position 2, it split the neck pickup, and in position 3 and 4 use both neck and bridge, and in position 5 it use bridge pickup?

isnt it weird? Only the neck pickup can split, and not the bridge? Is that a error in the pictures or something? It sounds better if only position 3 use both neck and bridge, and whereas position 4 split the bridge pickups?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Position 2 is not split, it's in parallel. Both coils are still active, just not in series(which is normal humbucker wiring).

Parallel is a little thinner sounding, more like 2 single coils on at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.