Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ....

I have a few RGs etc which have the likes of Breed, Evo etc humbuckers in, as well as HS-2 singles in the middle..... My question is.... On a 5 way selector, the bridge and neck position are quite strong and loud, but as soon as the single is engaged in any position there is a big volume drop.... Enough so, that when I play live i cant use these positions..... How do you guys deal with this?

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
HS is weak, I have a breed and yjm in the neck and no matter how far you screw the bridge pickup away and how near you screw the yjm towards the neck the volume dropout is huge.

Change pickup?

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
That's what's to be expected with most single coil pickups. They only cover half the area a humbucker does.

If you want a louder middle pickup, maybe the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound will work nicely for you.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you swap the cables from your middle pup, I had the same problem (EVO2, virtual 2 middle, Paf Joe). The sound was very low and way too bright. I did not even split the humbuckers... What I did (thanks to DiMarzio): I inverted the cables from the virtual 2: green to selector (hot) and red to ground and it solved the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts