Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I want to replace my Dimarzio/IBZ pickups
on my new RG 2550.
I want the sound from earlyer period of Vai.

Is paf PafPro will sound good on bridge and neck position on my rg2550 body?

Dimitar

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
What do you mean by early Vai? With Zappa he was using a Strat at one point I believe, and by the PAW era he was mostly playing UVs, with Blaze pickups.

That said, early Jems had PAF Pro's neck and bridge, so they will do nicely on an RG, and probably are what you are after.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
To my knowledge, there's just the one PAF Pro but it can be used in any position because it's a very versatile pickup. But even if you put two PAF Pros in the guitar, it will still sound different in the two positions. If that's the kind of sound that you want, then might I suggest putting the PAF Pro in the bridge and getting a PAF Joe for the neck.

Of course, I'm still confused as to why you'd want to put a PAF Pro in the bridge. Even Paul Gilbert admits that they are a bit fuzzy in the bridge. But if that's the kind of sound you're looking for, then good luck!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lyconxero said:
To my knowledge, there's just the one PAF Pro but it can be used in any position because it's a very versatile pickup. But even if you put two PAF Pros in the guitar, it will still sound different in the two positions. If that's the kind of sound that you want, then might I suggest putting the PAF Pro in the bridge and getting a PAF Joe for the neck.

Of course, I'm still confused as to why you'd want to put a PAF Pro in the bridge. Even Paul Gilbert admits that they are a bit fuzzy in the bridge. But if that's the kind of sound you're looking for, then good luck!
OK what pickup is much beter for bridge...I allready own EVO on my other RG...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'v read some reviews like this...

"This pickup really captures the Early Vai sound ala whitesnake and some of his early recordings. A good example is the live version of "Crying in the Rain". That's the Paf Pro all the way. If you've heard the song notice all the nuances throughout the intro. Early satriani is also the Paf Pro.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
@ dimitar ::
paf is a low output pickup and it just does not deliver the sound i want. though my friend suggested of putting a booster pedal or something. but again if the guitar is plugged alone in a tube amp, it won't give u that mean tone. also, satriani and vai tone is heavily procesed as mentioned by Algiman above.

I have been a EVO and Steve Special user for quite sometime now, hence my ears need that cutting through sound. for me, PAF pro just does not deliver.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts