Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking for advice on this forum because this seems to be the meeting ground for displaced shredders.

Just purchased a nice Hamer guitar. Not a JEM, but looks and feels a lot like a high end Ibanez. Mahogany body, 24 fret maple/rosewood neck, H-S-H, and a Floyd. It's one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever touched, and has that cool resonant thing happening when you play it unplugged. Then there's the bad news--the guitar was built with a Sustainer, but the previous owner ripped that out and put in a couple of Jackson humbuckers that sound like a turd flopping around in the bowl. So...what pickups should I buy?

I have another mahogany bodied strat with a Tom Anderson H3 in the bridge that sounds very "Euro-metal". It's a cool tone, but I don't want this guitar to be that dark and bass heavy.  I want more of a midrangy 80s sound from the bridge...sort of what a JB would do, but with better note definition for rhythm. I'd also like the bridge pickup to clean up reasonably well, which excludes the "distortion" models, right?  From the neck, I want a throatier, more expressive version of the PAF Pro. Visions of Satriani lead tones are dancing in my head. I want the single coil to mix with either of the humbuckers to make glassier sounds (not necessarily strat-like) without any additional noise.

Would any of the following do what I'm thinking in this guitar?

Neck: Breed or FRED
Middle: Blue Velvet or Fast Track 1
Bridge: Steve's Special or Tone Zone

The last time I tried to replace the pickups in a guitar, I scored 50%. I put a PAF Pro and a Custom Custom into an RG-570.  The PAF Pro sounds good. I hope I can score 100% this time.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Pickups for a mahogany guitar?

I dunno. If memory serves, Satch uses a PAF Pro at the Neck position. I'd recommend either:
Neck: PAF PRO
Middle: HS-3
Bridge: Breed

or

Neck: Evolution
Middle: FS-2
Bridge: Evolution

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

There's a tremendous difference between the PAF pro in a basswood guitar and a mahogany guitar--personally, it's my favorite neck pickup in any non-basswood guitar. For the neck, I'd lean towards the PAF Pro over the Air Norton... the Air Norton doesn't seem to have the "oomph" of the PAF Pro.

Based on your descriptions, Blue Velvet and Tone Zone are a good fit... Blue Velvet has enough output to successfully compete with most humbuckers. Tone Zone has a nice amount of chunk to it, but it's not overkill in the bass department. It's a relatively dynamic bridge pickup. The two together make for some nice split-coil combinations.

Good luck!

--Brent

·
Registered
191 Posts

In a mahogany guitar with floyd for good metal tones I would go with

Neck: Duncan Jazz, for good articulation and output, it brings the definition of Al Dimeola and the warm sound of LPish neck pup.
Middle: I personally don't like singlecoils on mahagony bodies and therefore would recommend a singlecoil sized humbucker, for instance a Duncan lil' screaming demon or a Duncan cool rails. However if you want a singlecoil then I would recommend a highoutput one to comp with the buckers such as a Duncan SSL-5.
Bridge: Duncan Distortion (trembucker version) for good crunch, power and harmonics.

Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts

For a guitar with a Mahongony body I would go with a Seymour Duncan 'Custom Custom' in the Bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59' in the neck. A killer combination :cool:
Thats what I've got in my Patrick Eggle Berlin PRO (which has a mahogony neck and body with a maple top) and it sounds magnificant :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts