Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Im looking for a new set of pickups for my Custom guitar.
Its a 24 fret Strat made of Paduak with a maple neck and ebony fingerboard. Its equipped with an Ibanez Edge pro bridge. HSH, 5 way switch with Master Volume and Tone with push pulls to coil tap each humbucker separately. Pickups are mounted on a pickguard.

I plug into a crybaby -> Keely TS9 -> Keeley BD2 -> MI Audio Tubezone -> various solid state marshals and tube fenders.

Im Mainly into the instrumental stuff and im realy big on Andy Timmons tone, but i do play in a number of styles ranging from jazz big bands to 80's rock bands. Im looking for humbuckers with minimal noise, with a decent amount of output, but also have good cleans. Ive been told because of my guitar having a very bright sound naturally, i should stick to warmer and fatter humbuckers.

Ive been thinking Tonzone, AT1 or duncan custom custom.

This is what ive heard so far:
Tonezone is to bassy and wont give me good cleans.. but has the most output and will give me a big sound
The Duncan wont give me a nice bottom end but it cuts through well and has a nice top end
Not much about the AT1 but the records of andy playing sound great.

Can any1 clarify or know what i should do?
Thanks guys
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Evolutions, in my experience, will be rather bright in a paduak guitar. If you're after Andy's tone, I'd go for his pickup an put an AT1 in there.

My experience is that starting with the appropriate pickup for the "guitar hero" in question is usually a good step to pushing your tone towards theres with your existing gear.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Thank you for (obviously) reading the sticky Horseman, your making this too easy for us....lol

First I'd like to say that the info you got on the ToneZone is a myth at best...... people that feel this way are usually either repeating "what they heard" with no personal experience, or they installed it expecting "magical sounds" to come out of their amp without tweaking a thing........ It's a pickup.....and as we all know, ANY pickup change will require amp/effects tweaking.

For your want's: I really like your choice on the AT-1. it would have been my suggestion even if you hadn't mentioned Andy Timmons. I also know that the ToneZone will work VERY well with your Padauk body....... it's the perfect compliment to the "bright" tonewood....... the only reason it's not my first suggestion is the noise issue. The TZ is VERY sensitive to pre-amp gain (which is what makes it such an amazingly versatile pickup).... when you push the "pre" up the TZ will get pretty noisy without a high quality noise suppressor. The TZ also cleans up extremely well when it's used in the neck position of a bright tonewood. That said, don't expect much from the cleans if it's in the bridge.

The custom-custom is also a good choice...... and the No.1 contender for the cleans. It's very smooth and harmonic when played clean. The other side of the coin is that the CC "compresses" very easily when under anything more than moderate gain........ there's just not a whole lot of headroom in the windings. It still sounds beautiful... but gain can be your enemy if not kept in check.

My overall vote is for the AT-1......... but everything in your list is a guaranteed winner...... excellent research man.

Ryc

Hey,
Im looking for a new set of pickups for my Custom guitar.
Its a 24 fret Strat made of Paduak with a maple neck and ebony fingerboard. Its equipped with an Ibanez Edge pro bridge. HSH, 5 way switch with Master Volume and Tone with push pulls to coil tap each humbucker separately. Pickups are mounted on a pickguard.

I plug into a crybaby -> Keely TS9 -> Keeley BD2 -> MI Audio Tubezone -> various solid state marshals and tube fenders.

Im Mainly into the instrumental stuff and im realy big on Andy Timmons tone, but i do play in a number of styles ranging from jazz big bands to 80's rock bands. Im looking for humbuckers with minimal noise, with a decent amount of output, but also have good cleans. Ive been told because of my guitar having a very bright sound naturally, i should stick to warmer and fatter humbuckers.

Ive been thinking Tonzone, AT1 or duncan custom custom.

This is what ive heard so far:
Tonezone is to bassy and wont give me good cleans.. but has the most output and will give me a big sound
The Duncan wont give me a nice bottom end but it cuts through well and has a nice top end
Not much about the AT1 but the records of andy playing sound great.

Can any1 clarify or know what i should do?
Thanks guys
Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im leaning towards the AT-1 for the bridge pickup. I was thinking about the Evo to start with but i kept getting told that bright pickups + bright guitar aint a smart choice :p

What about the neck pickup? Im thinking Liquifire of a Duncan 59? or mabe even an air norton?

Thanks for the fast replying guys

Dave

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Tone zone's have awesome cleans... not sure who you talked to about that lol.

tone zone's are like EVO's in sound with less top end IMO. Thats why I dont care for EVO's, they are too punchy for my tastes, but they do have better harmonic response, I'll give them that! :D

you can kind of hear what i mean here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts