Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im looking to do a complete overhaul on my collection of guitars and their pickups, and instead of going on dimarzio's site, finding a pickup, googling if the combination works, rinsing and repeating like i have been doing the last few days i thought id grab the bull by the horns and ask here.

its important that the pickups have:

• very good bright, clean sound (especially open chords, perhaps almost break up like very light overdrive blues riffing).
  • i'm a fan of smooth tones, with bite if you pick harder. where highs sing, lows snap. that sort of thing.
  • no mud at all, i know this is perhaps difficult; but i have a seymour duncan invader in a basswood body. i've put the pickup almost as low as it gets and it just is far too bassy and sterile. i'd like if it had almost a twangy sound.
  • the pickups should be perhaps no more than moderate output, i have EMGs and d'activators in two mahogany guitars - i'm set for metal. i'm looking more for a set of versatile pickups in each guitar that can be used for blues to rock. i don't really want one trick ponies.
  • again annoyingly, i don't really want two of the same pickups in two guitars. unless the voicing is quite different (such as in basswood/mahogany)
so if you need any more clarification of what my needs are - ask away! and if you have a suggestion i'll pop it up here with your name.

Ibanez EX360 (HSS, Basswood body, Floating Trem):
Neck (S) : Stock --> (?)
Middle (S) : Stock --> (?)
Bridge (H) : SD Invader --> (?)

Ibanez IC200 (HH, Mahogany body, Fixed Bridge):
Neck (H) : Stock --> (?)
Bridge (H) : Stock --> (?)

Ibanez RG1570 (HSH, Basswood body, Floating Trem):
Neck (H) : Stock --> (Paf Pro?)
Middle (S) : Stock --> True Velvet (bancika)
Bridge (H) : Stock --> Paf Pro (bancika)

·
Registered
576 Posts
for the RG: maybe two Paf PROs or Norton in the bridge (a bit warmer) with either Paf PRO or Air Norton in the neck...for middle, true velvet or evo single. If that's too hot, maybe 36th PAF? That's just my 0.02$ :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my initial reaction was to go:

invader/jb(bridge)/59(neck) in my ex360: but i decided although it'd be versatile it's just definitely not what i'm looking for. i'd spend almost no time in my invader bridge position and i really can't find any information on what a bridge pup sounds like in the middle setting.

super distortion/air norton in my ic200: but i decided it was probably too muddy and too fat for a mahogany body. i don't mind having a bit of bite but i think it'd probably end up too much like the sd invader. i really think i'm looking for something cleaner.

norton/fs-1/paf pro in my rg1570: but i decided i actually might not like the norton. a lot of people have described it as nasal, and i've never actually heard a fs-1. i was going the paul gilbert-esque route. the paf pro sounds like exactly what i'd want, it's something you can stack gain onto but also cleans up extremely well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for the RG: maybe two Paf PROs or Norton in the bridge (a bit warmer) with either Paf PRO or Air Norton in the neck...for middle, true velvet or evo single. If that's too hot, maybe 36th PAF? That's just my 0.02$ :)
haha i was writing another beast of a reply when you sent that, is the norton a bit too dark sounding for what i'm looking for? the true velvets are extremely nice pickups, i definitely think i'll put that as my middle.

i think i'll likely go for the paf pro bridge, true velvet mid, paf pro neck?

what about area pickups for the middle/neck of the ex360?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
In order to properly "grab the bull by the horns" you need to visit the stable--SEARCH function. In doing so, you'll find answers/opinions relating to your query--this question gets asked on a daily basis. Since I don't recall personally answering this question in regards to the IC200, I recommend an Evolution set. I just dumped some in my IC300 and really love the sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In order to properly "grab the bull by the horns" you need to visit the stable--SEARCH function
im aware these questions get asked daily, i feel the search function complements results rather than gives them as a whole. my questions are more specific than most other "what pickups should i use" so i felt they merited another thread. i don't have enough knowledge to feed input into other threads, like everything else i just wing it.

i think the evos would be a little too high output for what i'm looking for, i'm thinking perhaps paf pro/humbucker from hell in the ic200.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts