Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guitar has Alder body, bolt on neck, Maple Fretboard.
I play thrash metal like Testament, Kreator, etc and some death metal like death, morbid angel etc.

I am tuned to D standard, and am using 11-52 guage strings.

I'm looking for something thats not going to be too bright or thin but isnt dark either.

Any pickup suggestions?
Pickups suggestions of any brand are welcome :D

thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
whole step down? full shred if you want to cut through, invader if you want huge, custom or distortion if you want the best of both. the custom is bigger, but the distortion is meaner.

rich

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
i had a jackson dk2m.i thought it was crap played it couple of times then swaped it for a xbox360.the guitar itself was ok but the pickups were piss poor.what about emg pickups like zakk wyldes they sound meaty.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
already has a JB/Jazz Set ;)

this dude is using an x2n but it gives an example of the kinda riffing i'ml ooking to do:

Not nessesarily interested in the X2N just saying that hes using it heh.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I knew that. I have one. Genuine seymour duncan pups sound like crap??

Hmm. Mine sound pretty good. Maybe it's your rig.

Honestly they sound alot better than most pups Ibanez guitars ship with. IMHO.

Anyway...they are good enough for this....

Works for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
damn that guitar looks sweet.
Btw, did you swap out the LFR for a real one?? was it a direct swap?
Oh i didnt say duncans sounded like crap.
lol... and honest i havent even played that guitar yet its yet to arrive in the mail, its just that i read alot that jb's sound thin in alder bodies and thats not what i want :s

I'm gonna get told for that, i know it. haha

I'll be playing through a Laney LC30

·
Registered
150 Posts
whole step down? full shred if you want to cut through, invader if you want huge, custom or distortion if you want the best of both. the custom is bigger, but the distortion is meaner.

rich
Could you do this same explanation using Dimarzio pickups as examples?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
damn that guitar looks sweet.
Btw, did you swap out the LFR for a real one?? was it a direct swap?
Oh i didnt say duncans sounded like crap.
lol... and honest i havent even played that guitar yet its yet to arrive in the mail, its just that i read alot that jb's sound thin in alder bodies and thats not what i want :s

I'm gonna get told for that, i know it. haha

I'll be playing through a Laney LC30
Let me chime and say that S-Man didn't have to swap anything because his Jackson is a real Jackson made in USA and they come with the original Floyd preinstalled in them, along with the SD pups.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Here is the DK2M....

It has real factory SD pups. The newer LFR is pretty good.

I think it's a good value. I enjoy playing it.

More guitars...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Let me chime and say that S-Man didn't have to swap anything because his Jackson is a real Jackson made in USA and they come with the original Floyd preinstalled in them, along with the SD pups.

Jimmy:smile:
To be more specific....it's a Custom Shop, USA Jackson, painted by Dan Lawrence

Checkout the neck...

Sorry ...didn't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i got confused for a moment because i thought you were claiming that that guitar was a DK2, and that Jimmy was saying that your guitar came with real duncans and mine didnt. Or thought after i'd said i didnt that i had no problems with real duncans as if he was insinuating that i did.
I'm not saying that the JB will be bad, i'm just saying that i have a fear that its going to be too bright/thin in that guitar is all (alder + ample board)and i'd like to know some good options if i need them which might be entirely possible. I might try a custom if i dont like the JB.

that red jackson of yours is god damned sexy.

The blackone is pretty nice looking too :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts