Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a pick up for my bridge that has good clarity for sweeping but also good distortion for shredding and rhythms Any ideas?

·
Registered
873 Posts
petrucci used the steve's special for a long time in his ibanezs. he has lots of crunch thick distortion rhythms and very clear rakes... you could try that.. now i think he has pickups that are modeled after the steve's special in his EB model

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well... depends on what kind of guitar you have... basswood? How about a Seymour Duncan JB? Personally I wouldn't aim to come close to Petrucci's pick clack-soaked tone; not a lot of the actual note actually being audible there...

·
Registered
286 Posts
goofy913 said:
Im looking to buy a pick up for my bridge that has good clarity for sweeping but also good distortion for shredding and rhythms Any ideas?
I would just get an Xt...you can adjust it to any pickup system...

JoeyDahlia

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Steve's Special is a good choice. Very clear and articulate, but with good power. Excels at single-note stuff (Low-tuned Meshuggah type riffs, sweeps, fast runs, etc.)

The D-Sonic is also good. Like the SS but with a bit more power and 'umph'. Good harmonics, thick power chords, but still retains a lot of clarity and presence.

The SD JB is an AWESOME pickup. I'd say it likes mahogany best, but it'll work in anything. Very smooth, very clear, and very, very articulate. Almost bright, but not... it has the nicest, prettiest midrange of any pickup I've heard. Very vibrant and alive. NOTE- the bass is mushier and rounder than the aforementioned pickups. The JB, while gorgoues and lush, sounds more 'rock' than 'metal'. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what could be a good combo though a dimarzio tone zone for rhythm and more gain and a jb just for sweeps?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
guitarshredder7 said:
emg 81 is what i use for bridge with 85 in neck for sweeps shred, and its very clear.
Ditto on the EMGs. I have the same combo with an EMG S in the middle and it's great. The lead tone from the 85 in the neck is TO DIE FOR and the sustain is insane!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
what type of guitar? wood plays a huge part.

tone zone is a really good all purpose pickup. i use them in mahogany. sweeps typically sound better with a neck pickup over a bridge hum. for the necks, i like air nortons, especially in mahogany. for basswood, i like a fred(n), and super 3(b). great gain on both combos, and good blend of definition and crunch.

rich

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
rty13ibz98 said:

tone zone is a really good all purpose pickup. i use them in mahogany. sweeps typically sound better with a neck pickup over a bridge hum. for the necks, i like air nortons, especially in mahogany. for basswood, i like a fred(n), and super 3(b). great gain on both combos, and good blend of definition and crunch.

rich
The TZ and AN also good in basswood ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Tsorovan said:
Well... depends on what kind of guitar you have... basswood? How about a Seymour Duncan JB? Personally I wouldn't aim to come close to Petrucci's pick clack-soaked tone; not a lot of the actual note actually being audible there...
I wouldn't go with a JB (or most Duncans) on a basswood guitar. I would try to find something without cut midrange. If you want a lot of lows and highs, then I'd imagine you'd be playing mahogany already.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I am going to say get an EMG Zakk Wylde set. Why? Because I like them? Because I think you would like them? No, because I don't know what kind of guitar it is so I don't know what to recommend to you, but EMGs will sound pretty close in any guitar.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
rty13ibz98 said:

rich
I didnt really like the TZ on mahogany, seemed to muddy, like too much mids and lows... (love it in basswood and alder)

And as much as i love the Air Norton, im afraid ill feel the same, being the AN sounds mighty fat in basswood, i think itd mud up in mahogany!

(sound clips are welcome ;))

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
A Pod XT wont fix everything at all. You will still want/need some pickups eventually. You will only regret it in the end if you dont get them. Personally I would go for a Tone Zone, Steves Special......that type of pickup. I am an admirer of the Tone Zone, and it would suit what you want nicely.

·
Registered
688 Posts
marianozz said:
I didnt really like the TZ on mahogany, seemed to muddy, like too much mids and lows... (love it in basswood and alder)

And as much as i love the Air Norton, im afraid ill feel the same, being the AN sounds mighty fat in basswood, i think itd mud up in mahogany!

(sound clips are welcome ;))
I agree with this about the TZ in mahogany 100%.

But! Even though your reasons are vaild for the AN7 in mahogany, marianozz, the exact opposite happens. (I HAD the TZ in a my mahogany RG, I STILL HAVE the AN in my mahogany RG ;) ) The AN stays fat in mahogany, and is gorgeously dark (cleans are beautifully jazzy) but the AN NEVER gets muddy in mahogany. The two just seem to work together.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Dark Wolf said:
I agree with this about the TZ in mahogany 100%.

But! Even though your reasons are vaild for the AN7 in mahogany, marianozz, the exact opposite happens. (I HAD the TZ in a my mahogany RG, I STILL HAVE the AN in my mahogany RG ;) ) The AN stays fat in mahogany, and is gorgeously dark (cleans are beautifully jazzy) but the AN NEVER gets muddy in mahogany. The two just seem to work together.
haha same here! I feel the same way about the TZ being too muddy in my Mahogany RG, but the AN still manges amazingly well in mahogany. But what gets me is that, I recently replaced my strat's stocks to new DiMarzios (chopper neck, Fast Track 1 middle, and TZ bridge = awesome combo) and playing sweeps on there sounds so wonderfully clear and great. The strat has an alder body. But when I get back onto my RG, the sweeps don't sound as clear?! Maybe it's the playability of the guitar? Getting used to the RG neck etc. Weird.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts