Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I've been looking around on the boards, as well as musicgear-reviews, for reference, and I still haven't found the answer to my question: what pickup I should get to replace the bridge-stock in my RG7321 with.
I find the lead tone to be quite good, actually, but rhythmwise, it doesn't quite cut it. When playing chords, it's up to par, but when heavy palm-muting kicks in, it falls behind. What I'm looking for is a pickup that can deliver a good chug, got any tips? Preferrably a passive pickup (EMG707 looks tempting by the reviews, but cutting up the body doesn't appeal to me, not to mention the fact that I don't trust things that run on batteries, eversince my CryBaby started eating batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner) but if the pros outweigh the cons, I'll consider an active pickup.
I'm pretty much satisfied with the other aspects of the pickups, it's just that the chug fails to deliver, and that's where I want to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The EMG's are nice in the 7321, the other guitarist in my band has his set up like that and it does sound rocking.

I'd actually try a Tone Zone 7, I have one in a mahogony based 7 and it sounds really cool and defined. Evo7's are good as well, although as it is a basswood body I dion't know. JB7's (Seymour Duncan) are supposed to be really good too :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Blaze Custom.

I wasn't nuts about the TZ7 (especially in my mahogany RG7), and I find the BC beats it for clarity, power, and depth. READ- better 'chugs'. ;) The TZ7 SERIOUSLY lacks some highs. It's basically all lower mids... bass is just eh... vocal mids are just eh... treble and presence are...? I dunno! Not there!

That being said, it holds up well live, where it's medium power and mushier, thicker* sound keep it controllable. And I think it would be a fantastic jazz bridge pickup.

*By thicker, not so much 'beefier'... the BC beats the TZ7 hands down for bass and tonal body. By thicker, I guess 'muddier' would be appropriate, but the TZ7 does have a certain clarity about it, and you really realize it more through a cranked setup. However, again, no match for the Blaze Custom IMO.

(For reference, I used the TZ7 in my mahogany RG2027, and in my laminated alder Squier 7. I replaced the TZ7 with the Blaze Custom in the RG2027, and the TZ7 with the SD JB-7 in my Squier. I found BOTH replacement pickups to be better suited to metal/rock than the TZ7, and I preferred them immensely.)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, Wolf! I've been checking around, and concerning added low-end punch and screaming highs, the Blaze Custom seems to be the unanimous pick, especially concerning the price! A Blaze Custom goes for less than half the price of an EMG707 here in Sweden, apparently...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.