Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
couple of reasons:

1) it had some fairly noticeable dings/chips when i bought it, and (to me) a J-Custom seems like it should be a showpiece in terms of presentation.

2) i'm stupid. and having started down this path, i'm now becoming increasingly nervous.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's really not so bad. the flash makes it look worse than it is. frets have lots of meat in them yet. could possibly do with a little lovin', though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah that wood grain is ****in sweet. I agree completely, J Customs should be flawlessly beautiful. Don't be nervous though, as long as you follow the steps you know you need to, or a guide, then you'll do great. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ahh I'm currently working my way through a 7321 finish (my own custom 7 project). I don't know of any guitar company that has a thicker or stronger finish than an Ibanez! Even though I'm using the faster/more fun blow torch method, it still requires quite a bit of sanding. Can't wait to see pics of yours when its done though... I like the job you did on your 7620 Flobanez (esp. the chrome "custom", it looks great, but it would look even nicer if the headstock matched the body...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i actually didn't take any pics before i started stripping it, which i quite regret now.

this image is from buddroyce's site, before i bought it from him:

http://www.animetor.com/guitars/jcustom/images/rg1302lbu-1.jpg

it's hard to see, really, but it had a few significant edge dings where the paint had chipped away. they were quite obvious, as it was basically bare ash exposed. a lot of people might've been able to live with it, but i'm a fussy bastard with my guitars.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
damo7v said:
i actually didn't take any pics before i started stripping it, which i quite regret now.

this image is from buddroyce's site, before i bought it from him:

http://www.animetor.com/guitars/jcustom/images/rg1302lbu-1.jpg

it's hard to see, really, but it had a few significant edge dings where the paint had chipped away. they were quite obvious, as it was basically bare ash exposed. a lot of people might've been able to live with it, but i'm a fussy bastard with my guitars.
Nice :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fettouhi said:
Nice :).

Regards

André
it'll be just as nice again once it's refinished!

the stripping/sanding is almost all done, and then it's off to budd's connection to get it refinished - hopefully original colour and at least factory quality - with the addition of natural binding...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.