Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend came across this guitar on the bay for a whopping $350bin. I looked at it and was like MAHOGANY.. buy it!! I bought it and while I was waiting for it to arrive I asked the seller if he made the body or if it was aftermarket. He said "No, It's factory. It was originally black and I refinished it." It is a red stain.

Link to pics.
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q114/deaf_white_kitty/RG7620

·
Registered
597 Posts
Amazing! Didn't know there was a mahogany RG7620. Was there a japanese market model or something? Somebody knows more about it?

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow. nice. i wanna do that....how can i tell if my 7620 is mahogany? its the japanese one...take the neck off and look or are they all mahogany or what? thanks. (sorry for the rookie questions)

EDIT: i took the neck off, and on the neck it says RG7-620. the body says URG7-620. guess thats no mahogany. anyone know what the "U" stands for? thanks.

also, if i do get rid of the paint, what might i wind up with underneath? i mean, will the top be all one piece or will it be several pieces glued together? i would hate to get all the paint off only to find some ugly lookin wood underneath.....

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
You are wrong my friend. There was a small batch of mahogany RG7621s and RG7620s. They are very rare to find.
All the RG7620's are basswood - the 7620M and 7621M, meanwhile, are mahogany. ;)

On one hand, that red finish looks great. On the other hand, I believe the production run for the 7620M and 7621M was about 12 a piece, so the dude seriously hurt resale value by refinishing it. :lol:

Still, you got a cool guitar at a great price, and I remember seeing one of the 7620M's in a shop up in Burlington, VT - it was cool and all, but I think yours looks better. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the RG7620's are basswood - the 7620M and 7621M, meanwhile, are mahogany. ;)

On one hand, that red finish looks great. On the other hand, I believe the production run for the 7620M and 7621M was about 12 a piece, so the dude seriously hurt resale value by refinishing it. :lol:

Still, you got a cool guitar at a great price, and I remember seeing one of the 7620M's in a shop up in Burlington, VT - it was cool and all, but I think yours looks better. :)
Yeah, he had no clue at all. Due to the rarity though, I don't think it will hurt the resale value too much. At least he did a good job refinishing it. It won't be going anywhere though! Thanks for the replies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts