Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Ibanez. It's an S540ex with an S320 neck. I installed new dimarzio pickups, and X2N in the bridge and a Fast Track II in the neck position, each are wired to a coil tap switch. I did all the wiring myself, wired it from scratch with my pots and capacitor from my last guitar, which was a partscastor that I bought this Ibanez to replace. I leveled the frets, and installed ablolne inlays at the 12th fret to replace the plain white plastic that came on the neck of the S320. I was never a fan of the claw mark inlay, but I got the guitar used for a great price and figured I could replace the neck, which I also bought used (on ebay). I noticed that the tremolo was black and chrome, looked into replacing the chrome parts with black but determined it would be in my best interest to leave it as-is. So I bought all new chrome hardware and chrome Gotoh tuners, and I combined the black hardware that came with the guitar with the chrome hardware, so that the hardware on the guitar was both black and chrome mixed, and I went with a "black and chrome" theme, which was perfect given the chrome "Ibanez" logo on the headstock, so I went with it. I use this guitar for everything, I can get both P90 and strat-type single coil sounds from the neck pickup, I get high gain from the bridge pickup but without going active, and I can get something closer to a PAF type humbucker tone when I back off on the volume just a tad. It also sounds very stratty and clean in split mode. I put in a new, higher quality 3-way switch, bigger pots, an orange drop capacitor and I did all the electronic work on this guitar myself and I do all the setups and repairs too, so I truly consider this "my" guitar. It's not my first Ibanez but it is my first S series guitar, and I did extensive research on the product line after taking the guitar home for the first time. I was very interested to learn about the development of the S series, and many of the choices I made in modifying and customizing this guitar were influenced by what I learned about the Saber line and about Ibanez in general. I am very proud of this instrument and to be an Ibanez player, even though it's just a used guitar from a few years back that wasn't particularly expensive or popular, I feel like I have turned it into something special. I will post some videos of me playing this thing soon, if anybody wants to hear it in action.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts