Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my girlfriends squire strat, I borrowed it when my guitars electronics died, and I havn't managed to give it back yet. I never play it, and the strings are sooo rusted, like they're brown kind of. I was just kidding around one day and we were talking about guitars, and she said that she always wanted a pink guitar, and she was super jealous of me when I got a purple Squier stagemaster for xmas. ( Its a great guitar btw).

I was like me and my friend could paint this for you, anything you want on it. She sort of wanted a hello kitty theme because she had seen the hello kitty squier, but I came up with the idea of putting pink duct tape over the guitar after it was stripped, as a finish with a flat clear coat over it. The tape would be evened out and what not, so it would not have hanging edges or anything, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about this.

THis is the guitar. I'm going to strip the black off of it and give it a pink duct tape finish. I'm also going to change the pickguard to a SSS pickguard, put 3 small rail humbuckers in it, and use a superstrat 3 switch wiring scheme.

I just don't know if it will work the way I want it to.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I suggest going to www.projectguitar.com

direct link to the forum is http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/

and read up alot before you start anything, as I have learnd in the past there is nothing worse then starting a job and being stuck halfway through and then having to wait for answers on a forum :p

plan it all out and get as much info as possible.

you need to understand clear coating, sanding techniques, polishing etc... types of clear coat blah blah and a tonne of other things you wont think of untill you start and eventually get stuck :p

good luck anyways cause its lots of fun even if you screw it up

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on doing alot of reading, which I've already done quite alot of on the subject, or on any subject that has anything to do with guitars lol.I've never seen anything quite like what I want to do, but I want to see what some other people think about it because I think it could look very cool if I pulled it off.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
There was a Noodles sig Ibanez Talman with a duct tape finish, so it has been, and can be done. ;)

I've been thinking of doing a duct tape finish on a Saga Kit guitar I have. It sounds awesome, but my paint job didn't work out, so thought duct tape or stickers all over would be fun.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
and read up alot before you start anything, as I have learnd in the past there is nothing worse then starting a job and being stuck halfway through and then having to wait for answers on a forum :p

plan it all out and get as much info as possible.
Great advice...See this is why I don't put projects together! I'm too much off the cuff and half @ssed when it comes to stuff like this, so I would end up being really pissed!

Duct tape idea seems cool! Good luck... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one can tell me that that guitar isn't badass, because it is. Take a stock one, put in a guitarfetish humbucker and dress the frets/ setup, and that is a beast. Some dude plays the solo to seek and destroy on a hello kitty squier on youtube.

·
Registered
469 Posts
No one can tell me that that guitar isn't badass, because it is. Take a stock one, put in a guitarfetish humbucker and dress the frets/ setup, and that is a beast. Some dude plays the solo to seek and destroy on a hello kitty squier on youtube.
The stock pickup is really very poor. I put a DiMarzio Fred in but it ended up too bright; now it has a ToneZone with a push-pull pot for coil split. It's most excellent.

I also gave Kitty a p***ed off expression with a black marker, which was obviously a very important modification.

Lastly, it's only ever used for playing loud, obnoxious music and is normally tuned to drop D. ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
My old guitar teacher bought one of those hello kitty guitars... Put in some Dimarzios and scalloped the guitar. I admitted that it was pretty bad ass too.

It's even funnier cause this guy looks just like Yngwie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.