Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

I'm new arround here and I'm portuguese so, please, be patient because my english is only at 60%..

So, lets get to business, I play mostly metal and hard rock (pantera, nickelback, slipknot, alterbridge, fear factory...) and I have a dual rectifier.

I'm looking for a new guitar and I know that EMGs(on a mahogany or alder body)and Mesa Boogies are an insane combo to play metal...Is the best I can get to play that style. The Emgs rock with that amp...

BUT...I know that you guys around here are all crazy for Dimarzios and tone zone, jems etc...I love Ibanez (i have one) and I can't find a decent mahogany guitar with EMGs and an excellent floyd rose...just the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR (to be honest schecter isn't my favorite brand....the necks are too "fat")

So ibanez has perfect guitars...thay have EXCELLENT floyd roses, super fast necks but the problem is that there are very few with mahogany body and EMGs (to be honest the **** Thompson model is the only one with those specs I guess..but it hasn't a floyd rose)..there is the rgt220h, but that guitar is neck-thru which means that it only has Mahogany Wings the body itself is maple/wenge...and that's not the ideal for EMGs 81-85...

so, most ibanez guitars have dimarzios...can i play metal with them? or can i put emgs in an ibanez(No strange routing tricks ok? lol...just tell me if I can take those dimarzios or wathever and put emgs without macgyver tricks)?

Thanks you very much for the attention....you guys rock

BLAKK:JAKK ;) (feel free to watch my videos on the -ATTENTION- Watch this VIDEOS..... thread on the Multimedia: Upload Pictures and Sounds forum...I need some constructive(?) critics.....;)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
SuperDistortion, Super2, and ToneZone's would work well in RGs.

You can also look at customizing an RG520 (HH Mahogany with Sappele top). I would think though that chuggachugga metal music would be do-able with the basswood guitars.

Of course it is all personal taste.

your english, by the way is better than 60%. Stop apologizing. Some native English speakers write worse than you do.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Your english is better than some people I know that were born here...

I like EMGs a lot, too, but I think you would be happy with any of the Dimarzios as well.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ;)

My problem is that ibanez guitars have all the specs that i need..but those are shred guitars(although there are some metal palyers using them..)...And I can't imagine an ibanez with EMGs maybe I'll buy that Schecter.....

BLAKK:JAKK ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
"Can you play Metal with Dimarzios?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was a good one.

Thats like saying, "I dunno. . I got this Ferrari 360 Modena. . .but I'm a bit concerned. . Im not sure it will go fast"

DiMarzios KICK ASS man, don't doubt them for a second. If you got good chops, you can headbang with single coils.

I'm not a fan at all of EMGs, I love passives. Very natural, beautiful sound. Mileage may vary.

You can definately put EMGs in an Ibanez, you just have to replace the volume and tone pots, output jack, and you have to have a place to put the battery which may or may not require routing.

I can't believe your even CONCERNED about this issue.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Gex said:
I'm not a fan at all of EMGs, I love passives. Very natural, beautiful sound. Mileage may vary.
I gave them a chance once and found thier sound to be a little sterile. No character or that natural sound you mention. Still the "can you play metal with Dimarzio's" gets me too. From my experience more metal player's than not will opt for a shred guitar, just because they now if the guitar can handle shredding it can definately handle metal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^I don't like ferraris ;)...I prefer Lamborghinis.you only say that because you don't like actives...ONE thing is for sure...EMGs are the best for metal...and that you can't deny...Everybody knows that dimarzios are shred pickups (and versatile too.....)....MAYBE..with a dual rectifier dimarzios do metal very nicely because the amp has enough distortion already...but EMGs are EMGs

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
BLAKK:JAKK said:
^^I don't like ferraris ;)...I prefer Lamborghinis.you only say that because you don't like actives...ONE thing is for sure...EMGs are the best for metal...and that you can't deny...Everybody knows that dimarzios are shred pickups (and versatile too.....)....MAYBE..with a dual rectifier dimarzios do metal very nicely because the amp has enough distortion already...but EMGs are EMGs

That's funny! EMG's are IN YOUR OPINION best for metal, plenty of people would disagree. And some don't like EMG's for anything. Dimarzio's as far as I know have been around longer and doing metal longer than EMG, so they do it great and IMO<<< are far better at metal than EMG's. And what's metal without a heavily distorted amp anyway?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I play metal with Dimarzio's currently. I use a Steve Special. What i wanted to know was if the Tone Zone was too muddy for heavy metal styling as many people have suggested.

·
Registered
936 Posts
IMHO, EMG's are only really decent if you want a clear sterile sound. If you're a session musician they're a decent investment. You don't stamp your sound all over the client's song when they don't want that.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Chud said:
I play metal with Dimarzio's currently. I use a Steve Special. What i wanted to know was if the Tone Zone was too muddy for heavy metal styling as many people have suggested.
I think the Tone Zone is great for metal.

I think EMGs are great for metal and shredding. I really like them, but I think there are tons of pickups out there, especially Dimarzio's, that will get you the same thing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Chud said:
How decent is the Tone Zone in a basswood RG?

Can it do heavy metal? :p
Basswood is a great versitle wood, and very balanced tonally.

Can it do heavy metal?

How could it NOT do heavy metal????!? Loads of output and bass. . . sounds like metal to me. :)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Gex said:
Basswood is a great versitle wood, and very balanced tonally.

Can it do heavy metal?

How could it NOT do heavy metal????!? Loads of output and bass. . . sounds like metal to me. :)
Yeah totally how could it not do metal :roll: If you realyl want something in your face x2n and super distortion 2 and 3 are good too

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brothersnowgone said:
That's funny! EMG's are IN YOUR OPINION best for metal, plenty of people would disagree. And some don't like EMG's for anything. Dimarzio's as far as I know have been around longer and doing metal longer than EMG, so they do it great and IMO<<< are far better at metal than EMG's. And what's metal without a heavily distorted amp anyway?
Plenty of people would disagree? Tell that to the countless PRO musicians that use EMGs for years and ABSOLUTELY refuse to use othe pickups...tell that to james and kirk from MEtallica, Alexi laiho, zakk wylde, kerry king, stephen carpenter, nickelback damageplan, chimaira etc etc etc etc etc

just because steve doesn't use them it doesn't mean they're bad....But I respect your opinion and you maybe right...but i think that it depends on the sound each person ear in her head...

BLAKK:JAKK;)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Plenty of people would disagree? Tell that to the countless PRO musicians that use EMGs for years and ABSOLUTELY refuse to use othe pickups...tell that to james and kirk from MEtallica, Alexi laiho, zakk wylde, kerry king, stephen carpenter, nickelback damageplan, chimaira etc etc etc etc etc

just because steve doesn't use them it doesn't mean they're bad....But I respect your opinion and you maybe right...but i think that it depends on the sound each person ear in her head...

Actually I really don't listen to any via, or at least very little. Also Stephen Carpenter uses both EMG's and SD's (SD's much longer than EMG's BTW) and has said neither is better than the other, they're just different (I'm a very big Deftones fan, even though thier stuff isn't technically amazing, I love thier music). And I said plenty of people would disagree, not all. I'm aware of the countless amount of guitarist that do use them. I bought an LTD MH-1000 about a year ago and it came with a ZW set (I just got the MH with the EMG's cause the one that has SD's is IMO ugly, and I wanted the black one :) ) and they just didn't grab my ears so I sold them to a fellow jemsiter for a very reasonable $115. Still Dimarzio's have been doing pick-ups longer, and they didn't go out of business when EMG came along, so they must be doing something right. But I can see the appeal to EMG's, they were the quietest pick-ups I've ever played, it was like having a built in sound gate.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

There are just as many passive users in metal as active(Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Pantera, etc). EMGs have a certain compressed sound that some players like, but NOTHING IS THE BE-ALL-END-ALL of tone, metal or otherwise.. Nothing. Not Passive, Not Active. It's all personal preference.

Take a look here:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/artists/allartists_band.shtml

(Dimarzio took their list down, but it had metal bands/players on it)

Then tell me no 'PRO' metal musicians use passives.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts