Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is playing without pick consider a "correct" way to play? I feel it more comfortable playing without playing pick. Anyway do not get me wrong, I am not playing with my 4 fingers aka spanish style, I am playing it with the position of holding pick but without holding and pick and pluck strings with my 1st finger. Is there any famous artist that play that way? What is the downside of this? Oh yeah one more thing, I got very short nails so its literally impossible to "alternate pick" without the usage of pick.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Yep, Mark Knopfler plays without a pick.

Playing without a pick alters the sound because you don't get the attack and snapiness you would with a pick. Also it makes certain techniques (artificial harmonics, etc.) very difficult to play.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Lots of country players also go pickless (or use a combination of pick & fingers). Just to clarify what I think you meant: you CAN get snappiness & attack (listen to those country players!). But it's a different kind of "attack" & "snap".

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is no real correct way to play guitar, it's all up to the individual.

I didn't use a pick for years as I found it more difficult to start off with. It pays to know how to use a pick however (especially if you want to get different sounds out of your guitar).

Play however you like, even if it means playing with ya toes. You can also develop different techniques later.

Lance

·
Registered
140 Posts
By the way, I alternate pick without a pick... it is tricky but I learnt as I am useless at keeping plectrums for longer than a week.

As long as your fingernails aren't painfully short, you will be able to do it with some practise.

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
I can do both quite happily, depends what you want to do really.

You cant go playing shred without a pick, but ill quite easily play blues and jazz stuff without a pick.

I still rather a pick though, just depends if i can find one :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
i think it depends on what style/sound you're after. if you're on this site, you probably dig vai or satriani's music. if thats what you want to play, go with the pick. or, a guy like brent mason (country session player) uses thumb and one finger. i believe he uses fingerpicks, which might be something you want to consider. you don't HAVE to choose one over the other, though. why not be able to do both?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.