Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this RG550 is for sale locally. They are only asking $350. The Serial # is F931337. I believe this to be a 1999 made in the Fujigen factory?

Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated. Does it have the AANJ or is it the older "square" joint? I want to make a move on it very shortly.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some photos:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I thought the first number after the F in the serial number meant it was from 1999? I am very glad to hear it is a 93 square heel!!

The guy stated that it is in excellent shape w/ only 2 minor dings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I picked it up earlier today. I can't believe the condition it is in for being 24 years old! I even offered $50 bucks less and she (yes, she) took it :lol:! Just needs a fret polish and set-up and that is it. Has the very common, though very small, neck joint crack and two very small dings (not through the paint) on the top. The headstock is mint, not even ding a ding on the tip! Hell, even the case is mint!

The color is different than laser blue as I have a 90 RG770 in that color. The 550 is lighter, hence the Atlantic blue as someone stated earlier. Looks really cool against the white pickguard!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Well, I picked it up earlier today. I can't believe the condition it is in for being 24 years old! I even offered $50 bucks less and she (yes, she) took it :lol:! Just needs a fret polish and set-up and that is it. Has the very common, though very small, neck joint crack and two very small dings (not through the paint) on the top. The headstock is mint, not even ding a ding on the tip! Hell, even the case is mint!

The color is different than laser blue as I have a 90 RG770 in that color. The 550 is lighter, hence the Atlantic blue as someone stated earlier. Looks really cool against the white pickguard!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Good job man. You managed to steal that guitar away. I'd never find in that good condition 770 for that cheap over here. Well maybe I could but not where I live :/ Can't wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good job man. You managed to steal that guitar away. I'd never find in that good condition 770 for that cheap over here. Well maybe I could but not where I live :/ Can't wait to see the pics!
Thanks! It pays to keep an eye out on your local Craigslist (online classifieds for those outside of the US :D)

After further investigation I've learned that Ibanez only made guitars in this color (Atlantic Blue) for one year, 1989. There doesn't seem to be too many of these around either. I like this blue more than my laser blue 770. Really digging the white pickguard also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Re: please help I.D.'ing this RG550!! **UPDATE**

**UPDATE**

Finally got around to setting this guitar up. It is in excellent shape, easy 9 out of 10. Even the case was near perfect. Had to take steel wool to the frets but I am amazed with how little fret wear there is. I set the action low and to my surprise there isn't any dead spots or buzzes. I didn't have to make any truss rod adjustments! The thing plays like butter. I originally bought it with the intent to flip but the damn thing plays so well.

The color is really cool also. See the pics below to get the idea of how the blue changes hue with different angles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts