• Leave it- it's not worth the money.

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
So, i'm helping a buddy buy his first shred guitar, but he's on a budget. I happened into a pawn shop today and saw this RG:

I can't figure out what this is. I was thinking early RG370DX, but that quite fit. It seems older, at least 10 years or more.
Some of the notable features are:

• -gold hardware
    -Made in Korea
    -Seymour Duncan Pickups, H/S/H, a Rail in the middle (likely a modification, right?)
    -AANJ that beautiful neck joint
    -plain 1-pc maple neck, (scarfed headstock, of course.)
    -shark tooth inlays
    -Edge tremolo (i think anyway- it's definitely an older, Floyd Rose-licensed unit)

The guitar is in good shape aside from being very dusty and having Scotch tape on it, , and has plenty of life left on its frets, and a good straight neck. They're asking $250, but probably would take a bit less in cash.

My buddy has never had a really nice, playable guitar, and my initial impression was this was a good deal, with the pickups especially. All it needs is a dusting, and a tremolo arm.

I have to get back to take a look at the Serial #.

What so you guys think? And thanks to everyone who helps out!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Looks like an RG 270 with a replaced bridge, and a rubbish one at that. I wouldn't spend $250 on that because you'd still need a decent bridge, and that will blow your costs out.
This ^, I have a 270 and it is half decent at best, you say your buddy never had a really nice playable guitar, well this isn't either BUT if you could get it for less money than that and are willing to change the bridge, it could be a really good starter guitar especially if he isn't used to floating trems so he could get used to all the nuances that brings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the help, guys! I will definitely pass this info on. Strange that somebody would dump close to $300 in pickups, and $100 in hardware on a mid-level guitar.

I especially dont get replacing a good Ibanez bridge with a Floyd Rose Licensed unit. Upgraded the pickups for tone, and then reducing tone and sustain with that bridge.

I have, and have owned several Korean Ibanez guitars, and they were excellent, but not Fuji's by any means.

I was hoping this would be a great deal for him. He's been playing a long time, but his best guitar is a Mexican Standard Strat.

If they'd take $150, and we put in an Ibanez or better Floyd, i guess that would be worth considering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.