Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, newbie here about to pull the trigger on my first Ibanez.

I'm a frustrated left handed player, thwarted by restricted choice within the guitar industry and after year of playing various guitars that have left me underwhelmed or unsatisfied, I'm now in the position to buy a high end guitar and feel the Ibanez RG is the one for me, but I'm REALLY torn between these two and could do with some advice, experience and input.

Keep in mind, I'm a lefty, so these are the only real options available to me, so no point making other suggestions, it's down to these two.

Option 1:

RG5320 Prestige in Cosmic Shadow

Guitar String instrument accessory Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory
or

Option 2:

RG 8670Z J.Custom in BSR finish

Guitar Musical instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

I know there's a big price difference, but that is not a factor in my decision so happy to ignore price and base my decision on merit alone.

Absolutely the biggest thing that has made me hesitate on the J.Custom is the lack of stainless steel frets which come on the Prestige. I just cannot fathom why this is the case. Maybe I'm over thinking it, maybe they're not essential, maybe we coped for years without them etc, etc..... but why, if the Prestige comes with them and the J.Custom is supposed to be the best of everything no compromise guitar do they not include them. It's just bugging me,.

I've also heard from a tech that the edge zero on the J.Custom is not as robust as the regular Edge on the Prestige, although I like the added functionality of the Zero from a stability / adjustability perspective.

All my instincts tell me to get the J.Custom, yet the Prestige is sitting there with its stainless frets telling me it's all the guitar I'll ever need..... etc etc.

I could really do with some guidance to hep me understand the differences, pros and cons, rational between fret choice, bridge differences and anything else I need to know before making my decision.

Thanks in advance,

·
Vendor
26,766 Posts
Not everybody considers stainless the best of everything. They have used stainless on a few JC models but JC's are ball fret ends which I can tell you is 3 times the work than doing them on nickel. And you'll find almost zero fret end finishing on any 5000 series, unless it's modified.

Past that, the JC is as fancy as you can buy, the 5000 is a cool finish. It really comes down to which one really floats your boat, but the fret ends need work. You do have a couple more options, the RG550L will give you everything either of those will, the AS2402L has stainless but it's not a double locking system which it seems you're after.

I do have all of them in stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not everybody considers stainless the best of everything. They have used stainless on a few JC models but JC's are ball fret ends which I can tell you is 3 times the work than doing them on nickel. And you'll find almost zero fret end finishing on any 5000 series, unless it's modified.

Past that, the JC is as fancy as you can buy, the 5000 is a cool finish. It really comes down to which one really floats your boat, but the fret ends need work. You do have a couple more options, the RG550L will give you everything either of those will, the AS2402L has stainless but it's not a double locking system which it seems you're after.

I do have all of them in stock.
Yes, double locking.

Not keen on the 550 - colour, pick guard, knobs, heel joint, pick ups.... not my thing. It's either of the two above.

Just so I'm understanding you, you're saying the Prestige will need fret end work from a Japanese crafted guitar?

·
Vendor
26,766 Posts
That's why I put close ups of every guitar up

What's worse is all the marks you have to sand out of the frets, nickel is easy enough but stainless takes so much longer. I took these tonight because one was so bad you could easily see it before starting. Usually you don't see them until you start sanding the crown in after a level. Before and after.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - the bottom picture is what I'd expect and not be happy without, especially at the price point and especially as they advertise 'Prestige fret end treatment'.

I'm not going to be disappointed with the J.Custom am I?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sorry, you've lost me. Neck shrinkage?
These are both brand new guitars, or am I missing something?
Wood shrinks and expands to a varying degree with temperature and climate change. It’s unavoidable with anything made from wood. That’s why you hear a house creak from time to time.

The AZ necks are roasted (baked, oven heated, etc) so are very hard and dry and are not as susceptible as an untreated neck.

As for which guitar between these two… J-Custom all day everyday and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wood shrinks and expands to a varying degree with temperature and climate change. It’s unavoidable with anything made from wood. That’s why you hear a house creak from time to time.

The AZ necks are roasted (baked, oven heated, etc) so are very hard and dry and are not as susceptible as an untreated neck.

As for which guitar between these two… J-Custom all day everyday and twice on Sunday.
Thanks, decision made.

I hope it lives up to price and expectation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts