Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I currently have a Ibanez RG and have been looking to upgrade this to a Jem. My original intentions were to get a 7D BK which I can get for £999. I was searching through **** when i found a Jem 555 BK with Mirror scratchplate for £220 although expecting it to raise. What are the differences between the 7D and the 555? Is it worth bidding for the 555 and then buying the dimarzio breeds or maybe evolutions and getting them fitted in?

Please Help!
Bruce

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The 555 already has evos, it's the rest of the guitar that is lacking!

Search the forums on the 555, then go buy the 7D. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that it came with stock Ibanez pickups. I was worried about it lacking elsewhere cos that cant be replaced, i think ill just leave it. Does £999 (which is aparantly $1800) sound like a good deal for a 7D?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
The 555 should have the EVO's...but like Aligman says...the rest of the guitar is lacking. That's why it's called a Jem Jr. I dont even consider the 555 to be a Jem. The 7D is a much better guitar. As far as prices, you guys over in the UK get ripped!! You can get a 7D over here for much cheaper. (like $ 900 cheaper) Try to get one from an American Outlet. Have you tried www.ibanezrules.com ???

Just FYI - the 7D comes with Breeds.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The stock pickups are EVOs...

I personally don't care much for the 555. I had one, and there was a world of difference between it and the DBK I had. Although I don't like the breeds as much as the evos, it's not enough to justify choosing a 555 over a DBK.

The trem is pretty rough on the 555 as well. However, $1,800 is a bit much, depending on where you live. I paid $925 for a DBK about 3 years ago, and it was brand new.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
£999 is steep even for the UK. I take it that the guitar is new?

There are much better offers out there. Keep an eye on the classifieds.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Algiman said:
The 555 already has evos, it's the rest of the guitar that is lacking!

Search the forums on the 555, then go buy the 7D. :)
Well said! But I think the pickups do vary on when it was made...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
the 7DBK rules, espcially if you like the breed pick ups, the 555 is decent I suppose but only if you get it pretty cheap, as you will probably want to upgrade a lot. They don't hold much value except to people that really want a Jem but don't want to pay a lot I guess.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hey November

I bought a 7DBK for £1099 in February. I could have got it for £999 but I wasn't patient enough to wait for the mail order, so I paid an extra £100 so I could get it there and then !!!

I'm really pleased with it and would recomend a DBK to anybody

GET THE DBK NOW !!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your help. I dont feel to keen on shipping a 7D form the US it just dosent seem right. Is their anyone who has shipped a Jem from abroad from a site they could recommend. The only other problem i have is none of my local music shops stock one so even if i was to get one over the internet i wouldn't have actually played one. One of the shops however does stock a 7V, if i tried this out would thins give me the right kind of feel that i would get on a 7D?

·
Registered
541 Posts
7V and 7DBK should be pretty similar in feel. But sound's different because of the different PUs (7V-Evolutions 7D-BREED). Getting one shipped from Rich is probably your best bet at a ourseas outlet (www.ibanezrules.com). Everyone that has dealt with him in the US or abroad have been very pleased. Check him out!

·
Registered
403 Posts
november_brain said:
Thanks for your help. I dont feel to keen on shipping a 7D form the US it just dosent seem right. Is their anyone who has shipped a Jem from abroad from a site they could recommend. The only other problem i have is none of my local music shops stock one so even if i was to get one over the internet i wouldn't have actually played one. One of the shops however does stock a 7V, if i tried this out would thins give me the right kind of feel that i would get on a 7D?
I'm from Spain and bought my Jem from ibanezrules........PERFECT!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts