Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a Payment to a fellow jemsiter for a Triaxis a few days ago using my credit card and now Paypal is asking him to upgrade his account to Premium or whatever is called (meaning that he would have to pay extra fees from now on) in order to collect the money. I had no idea this would happen and I don't want to cause him any trouble so we are trying to find a way to work around this.

I thought of the following procedure but since this is my first Paypal transaction I'm afraid I may be assuming something wrong here so I need your help guys!

- If the seller rejects the payment then the funds would get back to me in my Paypal account right? (This is the step I'm actually more concerned about...)
- Then I can resend him the payment using those same funds and this time Paypal won't ask him to upgrade because it's not a Credit card payment anymore (they are coming from my PayPal account now).

Is this the way it would work? It makes sense to me but I don't think Paypal would allow for such an easy way to avoid paying cedit card payment fees so I guess something must be wrong with this...

I must add that Paypal is not allowing Italian users to make payments or add funds to Paypal accounts with a direct bank transfer so I can't go that way either... :?

PLease help me! Any input is appreciated.

Freddie :)

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Hi, PayPal charge you no matter how you pay, not only that, but it's mandatory for sellers to have to upgrade so that they can receive payments.

In the words of James Hetfield, Sad But True :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ibanez249 said:
Hi, PayPal charge you no matter how you pay, not only that, but it's mandatory for sellers to have to upgrade so that they can receive payments.

In the words of James Hetfield, Sad But True :(
I've received many Paypal payments which never took a percentage off, so I don't think it applies to every situation...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well for example, I sold a Marshall head about 6 months ago. The guy put money into his Paypal account and paid me in full. There was never any percentage taken off. This has occured several times, so it's not just a random fluke...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Back on topic, I don't think your idea would work, but I could be wrong. You would use a credit card to send funds. Then he would reject the payment theoretically putting cash in your account. After that you'd send him the cash.

Once the payment was rejected, they would either credit your card or nullify the transaction. They aren't likely to give you "cash".

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bpd111 said:
Once the payment was rejected, they would either credit your card or nullify the transaction. They aren't likely to give you "cash".
Can they actually credit my card automatically without passing through my PapPal account before? Damn, I'm so clueless about this... :?

I'd have no problem nullifying the transaciton if I had a clearer idea of what will happen to the money I've already sent...

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
They're going to keep your money for 2-3 days and collect interest in it and then refund it to your credit card.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The only way for sellers to avoid paypal fees is to only accept direct bank transfers. Accept just one credit card payment, and you must upgrade your personal account to a merchant account and pay fees on all transactions.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Rich is right about the refund.

If it's bank account funded, he CAN accept the payment without fees, but ONLY $500 per month (last I checked - it used to be unlimited, then $1000, then $500, so maybe it's even lower now). If the item is over that, he needs to "upgrade".

That is bull****, BTW. I had 2 accounts for this reason - a personal & a premier. Because once you're premier, you pay a fee even if you only get $100 a month from bank accounts - the fee applies to EVERYTHING from that point on. But once the limit got so low, I stopped using the personal account - at bacame almost useless.

Here's to Google's new banking! I hope it doesn't suck like PayPal!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I just had a similar experience- I tried to pay someone a kittle over $900 (for a UV777PBK!) and they said he had to upgrade to a Premier (it was over $500) and he would heve to start paying higher fees. However, somebody in customer service there said you can change back to an individual account once, so that's what he did. Paypal just sucks.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Seller and I have decided to deny payment and then do a new one where I take care of the fees. That's fine with me, but PayPal has already screwed me 40 Euros with the currency conversions, and the money that they say has already been re-credited to my credit card is not there yet. Only two days have passed since the re-credit entry and I know these things take time but I'm really getting a bit anxious here... :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts