Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to meet a guy about buying a 2010 JEM7V-WH that has a custom paint job on it. All the pics I have of the guitar look correct. There is one pic that I need clarification on asap. I am meeting the guy this afternoon. He has never had the neck off of the body. He bought it from the supposed original owner who was an artist and did the paint job. Anyway... you experts... zoom in on this pic of the chip. He is telling me this is a repainted Jem7V-WH. The headstock is correct, he even has the hang tag with the serial number that matches the serial number on the back of the headstock. When I zoom in on this chip I can see a lighter shade of yellow paint under the new paint. Under that lighter shade of yellow paint is bare wood. I have stripped a few Ibanez bodies before and they are VERY difficult to strip. Paint remover doesn't work and I don't think anyone would want to sand out a JEM body so they usually use a heat gun I believe. This chip looks to me.... like this guitar body was originally yellow and the person who repainted it scuffed it up and painted directly over the yellow which means this was never a V-WH body.
What do you think???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I don't know much about the Jem's, as I have never owned one... but that sure looks like more of an Ibanez "DY" paint layer under there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I didn't meet the seller today because I asked the question regarding the lighter yellow paint showing under the repainted yellow which sort of does look like maybe it was a Desert Sun Yellow body to start with. He didn't know. I also asked him if he removed the neck ever since he owned it to check and he said he didn't BUT he is going to take the neck off and check it out. Hopefully the person that painted the body didn't paint inside the neck cavity.
I have no problem buying it if its a genuine JEM body. I already know everything else on the guitar is correct. Its just the body I am not sure of.
Is there anything else I should be looking for besides the stamp in the neck cavity?

·
Registered
260 Posts
This body can't be a dessert yellow. An all aces neck simply won't fitt an original dy body plus, dy's does have way more rounded edges. Vwh's are sharp, like yours.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it's an original vwh. Not sure. I wouldn't buy it without seeing the stamps as spoken before..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Worst case scenario it feels like it's an original 7vwh neck on an RG body with an AANJ neck pocket originally painted in DY with a well done monkey grip, let us know what the stamps say

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe the guy will discover that it isn't a JEM and sell you it at a doable discount! If so... maybe you'll still be interested anyway. Sometimes parts guitars are more awesome than the original! (Feel wise that is...) Most of my guitars at this point have been pulled apart and changed to my liking :) .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks... he said he is going to remove the neck and take a peek. I told him to snap pics and send them to me. I am confident the neck is correct. He has the original hang tag and it matches the serial number on the back of the neck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might just be that the guy who painted it used a yellow primer when he did it.
I know. I was thinking that too. but I still think if it was originally white you would see a layer of it in that chip. Stripping a white Ibanez paint job is very tough!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts