Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i'm after a new 1 speaker combo(tube!), downsizing for something nice, portable and simple
will be using simply with a Gmajor at pub/club gigs playing modern style(and sounding) covers(think pop/rock/r&b)

some vague descriptions of tone preference :) =
for distortion i'm not a fan of breakupish distortion(ala some vintage rock overdrives/distortions and often marshall), would like to be able to dial in some tough metal rhythm tones(not for our covers tho) and nice liquid warm lead tones are a must of course, need some smooth nice pop/rock distortions
extra gain could be handy if needed ..and nice :p

still needs to be able to power a bit but not so extreme, we aim to be a quieter band than most

i've been thinking of checking out something like the mesa nomad 45 1x12,
really would love any suggestions as i need some names to research etc

thankyou!!~! you'd be lifesavers!!! :)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Any small Mesa would be excellant - our local shop has an F50 combo for about $2000 AUD which I am seriously thinking of buying as a baby version of my TriAxis/2:90 setup.

If money is not really an issue, check out the Lonestar Combos, they are superb, anything like a Mk IV would also be sweet, but probably quite exxie!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cool, checking it out,

to add- i'm looking for slightly more features or channels than say the Fseries, so atleast 3 channels

and how much power do you think would be the minimum to actually gig a 1 speaker combo without mic'ing it up? i imagine 45watts(ala nomad) should be fine eh

i don't have much experience with combos, came from a marshall stack and then rack setup before..

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Having owned both, I'd highly reco either the Nomad 45 or the Mark IV... based on the description of the tones you're looking for, I think either would fit the bill. The Mark is obscenely flexible... while it's probably twice as much as a used Nomad, it's worth it if you're one of those people who likes to flip switches, turn knobs, etc.

--B

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Ki swordsman said:
hey i'm after a new 1 speaker combo(tube!), downsizing for something nice, portable and simple
will be using simply with a Gmajor at pub/club gigs playing modern style(and sounding) covers(think pop/rock/r&b)
I'm thinking perhaps a Mesa Nomad by your description here.

some vague descriptions of tone preference :) =
for distortion i'm not a fan of breakupish distortion(ala some vintage rock overdrives/distortions and often marshall), would like to be able to dial in some tough metal rhythm tones(not for our covers tho) and nice liquid warm lead tones are a must of course, need some smooth nice pop/rock distortions
extra gain could be handy if needed ..and nice :p
So you don't like tube distortion? Try a Fender Twin Reverb or Bassman with a distortion pedal then maybe.

still needs to be able to power a bit but not so extreme, we aim to be a quieter band than most
More points to a Fender.

i've been thinking of checking out something like the mesa nomad 45 1x12,
really would love any suggestions as i need some names to research etc

thankyou!!~! you'd be lifesavers!!! :)
Already mentioned...

·
Registered
325 Posts
You should also try to check the Cornfords and the new Rivera Clubster and Pubster if you get them over there.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks heaps guys, i do love tubes in distortion but i just meant i prefer more saturation and smoothness as opposed to marshall breakup

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but how do they go for gainwork? and the tones i described? i do need to pull off nice deep liquidy metal now and then, without too much rough breakup.
i could go fender but i'd probably need a pedal for extra gain from what i understand

still seems like the nomad's the safest bet, unless you guys could go into more detail about the sounds these other amps you have can pull off??

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
if you are using rack FX you should be able to dial in whatever lead and distorted sounds you need. you should start with a good clean sound. small Mesa amps are great but there are a lot of good amps that will handle most gigging needs. try a Classic 30 Peavey, Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb (i use one of these with a Hot British ToneBone pedal - awesome! and you get tube reverb and tube tremelo to boot!), and the Fender Hot Rods are nice as well and all of these can be found for a far fairer price than the Mesas.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The Shiva can cover a LOT of ground. Check out Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" - it's a Shiva-fest (some Fish preamp stuff too.)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I played a few Laney combos last week and all of them were really amazing, even the 30W.. try them before decide.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I use a Hughes & Kettner Tube 50. You'd have to find a used one. (1998-ish) But they're fantastic. They basically have 4 channels (2 channels, 2 modes each) and can pretty much nail most other amp's sounds. They're kind of like mini Triamps. The redbox direct out is great, too. There's plenty of gain, I never go above half.

Otherwise consider the Tubeman or Tube Factor in front of any good combo like the ones recommended here for the ultimate in versatility.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
cool guys i've got some reading up to do then, should add- i'm gonna need FX loop for the Gmajor and that is the only unit i'll be using with it,

screamin, rack fx can't really pull off any varied dist, hell the gmajor only has an EQ in the way of modding the amps distortion (cos most that actually do have OD or dist usually sound like crap-compared to nice amp dist- especially seeing as it's placed in FX loop)

i'm not in a good area for trying gear out, tho i'm travelling in december so i'll see what's around if i don't have anything by then.. but til then i'm possibly considering a blind buy, i can always resell eh, til i do a recent check on my local stores anyway but at most they'll have some peavey/fender stuff

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok updated lil amp list :)

things i'd buy if it came up for sure so far- mark IV, nomad 45(and 55?? not certain yet), H&K- Tube50

things still to check out, so if you've got more info- go crazy!
mesa- tremoverb/rectoverb
fender- hot rod deluxe
bogner- shiva
peavey- xxx 60watt version(just came across it and so far seems semi-promising)

let's keep it to amps with an average used price of $1000ish US or under
OR new price of $1500US or under
if anything i've aready listed, you think would be too hard to get for those prices lemme know :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts