Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my Pod is fine for recording but I also need a new amp and cab. I really like the Soldano sound on the POD but can't afford an expensive head. I want an amp which would have that sort of rich high gain tone. I would get a VHT head or something similar but that means I would have no money for a cab! Will my POD sound ok with a good power amp and a good cab-any suggestions will help. I will probally get a Pod Pro if it would sound good?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
i tried that for a while, but for some reason it sounds balls-less at volume .. ended up getting a carvin vm100 halfstack .. now i don't play my pod anymore...

~A

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
this is what i use for running live. flextone head into a peavey 412ms. the flextone is DI'ed into the PA. before i got the flextone head, i was using the pod only DI'ed into the board and running off a monitor mix. no fuss and sounded great. the key to running the pod into a speaker cab is the power amp, everyone has different opinions on this. i prefer a nice tube power amp for more balls and presence. the solid state rigs will give you almost the exact thing you hear from headphones from the pod. so it's all up to the individual. personally, i love SS cuz they don't color the tone at all, but you need more power to achieve better headroom than tube. either way, it'll sound great.

rich

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what are good power amps then , soild state or tube? What amp heads provide the alternative to the pod's Soldano sound without buying a soldano?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
to me the best all purpose power amp for guitar is the old marshall valvestate 80w. the marshall el34 monobloc is bad ass, but is $$$$. so are any of the boogies. for the dollar, the SS rocktron velocity and mosvalves are really good. for good inexpensive tube power, the peavey classic 60 or 50/50 is a really good choice, but the headroom is not there if you play really loud. personally, to me loud is not a problem. i will run into the PA to get really loud.

rich

·
Registered
150 Posts
Get as much clean power as you can afford. The Pod is already simulating the results of a preamp driving a power amp so you want as much head room as possible so your tone won't be colored or break up an in any way. I'm sure people have gotten great tones with tube power amps and their Pods and that's great if you want to mike your cabinet, but if you are going to go direct you want the tone from your Pod rig to be as similiar as possible to the sound you are sending to the front of house (direct). This is why you need plenty of power. Your tone will get thin and undefined if you don't have enough headroom and if you attempt to compensate for the poor tone on your end you will very likely screw up a great sound you are sending out front.

Good luck.

Kent

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
kent has good points. you can also use PA power amps, but keep the wattage fairly low. you want to just about max the power to the cab that you'll be running, due to headroom. reference monitor amps won't cut it. i know, i used to try to push a 5150 cab with an alesis RA100 with the pod...no go. but a nice floor monitor type amp will work. if you can get a 300w amp SS, it should do the job to power a 412 easily.

rich

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers so the Marshall valvestate and any of the Boogies will do. So I should buy the one with the most power I can get? Any considerations when getting a cab or should I just get the best I can afford?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
my general advice for someone looking for a cab consists of a few questions to ask yourself first(no particualr order).

1. where will i be using it most? gigs, practice, or both?
2. is weight an issue?
3. do i need a stereo one or mono one? maybe one capable of both?
4. does it need to say marshall on it?
5. does it have to have celestions in it?
6. do i have to have 4 12's? or is 2 12's enough?
7. open back or not? what's the difference?
8. what about price to quality?

here's how i answered them for myself as an example.

1. where will i be using it most? gigs, practice, or both?
i just needed it to gig with. i have a practice amp already, so the cab was for just gigging. less wear and tear. i left the cab in our trailer. it would only see light for gigs.

2. is weight an issue?
for me, coming from a 5150 cab, everything is lighter! but if you have a bad back(like me, but i deal with it), a 212 is a great thing-especially if you DI or mic a cab and don't rely on stage volume as much as a monitor mix(for live mainly, although i firmly believe in PA use at practice as well)

3. do i need a stereo one or mono one? maybe one capable of both?
i got rid of both of my 5150 cabs because they were 16 ohm mono only. when i wanted a diverse rig, it wasn't possible. the beauty of a stereo cab is: a) two sources(2 heads, preamps, etc.) into one cab so all you need is to use 2 mics to mic one cab. b) stereo effects. same type of mic'ing. i needed the ability to do both mono and stereo. the flextone head is so versatile that it could work either way and not be a problem.

4. does it need to say marshall on it? for me, nope. some people get caught up in name brand hype. i do to a degree. i used to own a 1960a, and was impressed with the sound and weight, but to me, speakers aren't that big a deal in the tone equation when you get a fairly expensive cab. its pretty much guaranteed to sound pretty good.

5. does it have to have celestions in it? this relates to the prior question. for me and what i was using it for. nope, only because if i didn't like what i was hearing, the line6 has speaker cabinet emulators that will make the cab sound good. since i like a lot of bass anyway, celestions don't give me near enough low end like the sheffields i was used to.

6. do i have to have 4 12's? or is 2 12's enough? for me, i like both. i am still looking into getting a carvin 212. a 212 cab and an amp stand can usually cover what you will need a 412 to. i got a 412 because i was used to 8 12's, but 2 12's will pretty much do it without killing everyone else in the band.

7. open back or not? what's the difference? this pertains more towards the 212 cabs. all about bass response. again personal preference. i like closed backs, but the line6 has a closed/open back emulator that is uncanny, so if i don't like one, i can switch to the other via my line6 product.

8. what about price to quality? well, for me this was a no-brainer. a buddy had the 412ms. he is a guitar teacher and as we all know, guitar teachers score gear from their desperate students. this was one of those acquisitions. i got it for $150. i couldn't turn it down. its a $350 cab new. and this one was in like new condition. i knew the peavey quality due to me experience with the 5150 cabs and realized that the specs were very similar. i have not been disappointed. if i had not purchased this cab, my next alternate would have been the carvin mts412.

i hope this sheds a little bit of light into the realm of cabinet shopping. these are just generalizations that i use to determine my needs according to budget and playing situations.

rich

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've been running a POD Pro through a Mesa 20/20 and a 2x12 recto cab for around a year now. I highly recommend running a tube power amp with the POD especially if you plan on using a regular guitar cabinet with it. If you plan on PA speakers, then you may want to try it out both with a PA amp and a tube amp and see what works best. At high volumes, I found that I needed to run back the presence adjustment on my Mesa to round off the highs a little. At lower volumes this isn't necessary.

Also consider a higher quality effects unit to complete your sound, only until you hear something like a G-major or G-Force compared against the internal effects of the POD will you fully appreciate how mediocre those effects patches really are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts