Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, is the pod xt worth the money? Planning on getting one for b-day so....does it really give great tone and are peoples patches nice? Such as the FTLOG one. Also is the recording thing on it good, and is it good with headphones?

·
Registered
313 Posts
i think gt-8 is more natural, pod sounds like already mastered. gt-8 sound natural like a real amp. i play FTLOG on my gt-8 and it's fantastic. go to local shop and play 'em all! :) someone like pod's sound someone gt's. they both sound great in headphones.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im not looking for anything expensive (300-400 perferably lower) so i how much is a GT-8 and can you download stuff off the internet for like the pod?

Also i dont need a rack format because i just dont need that lol

·
Registered
623 Posts
I haven't done a comparison against the GT-8, but I'm happy with my PodXT. Nice sounds, and it's great with headphones. I haven't tried recording with it.

The sound editing UI on the PC is pretty nice too. It's much easier to edit sounds that way than trying to do it with the Pod hardware.

The only downside--and everyone complains about this--is that the pre-loaded patches are pretty awful. I was sort of disappointed with mine and was ready to return it until I started downloading patches and making my own. You'll have to sit with it and fiddle around for a few hours when you first get it. I think it's a great little device though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
THe cool thing about the Xt is that the amp tone is really good and the effects are easy to use...Amp tone is more realistic than on the Gt8 IMO, not that it's bad on the Boss but it's just plain better on the Xt...you can still conjure up amazing tone from both units...What kinda tone are you looking for really? I could point you to Xt recorded music so that you can check it out yourself

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, but I feel the GT-PRO is just too much money!! It's double the price of the GT-8, but you get the extra options for studio/live use. What I'm interested about the GT-8 ,is that it Seems to have a good WHAMMY/Pitch shifter and a great synth that tracks well. And dual amps. Well from what i heard off the Boss Website with it's Video demos. I'm curious how well this does for recording puposes? But I guess If I were to get it, i'd probably get the GT-8 as the pre amp as the PRO is just too much.

But I'm considering the XT Pro, which is cheaper and have heard great sutff, and the recording ability is immense, plus I can use it for Live use and build a rack. I think the only thing I kind lacks if my memory serves me right, is the whammy/pitch shifter although I could get the Digitech. But it's cheaper than the Pro and it's also versatile!

Argghh so hard! hehe

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm also thinking about getting an XT Pro so if you get one you'll have to let us know what you think of it.

I want a rack so that i can get a Tube Power-amp at a later date and use the two together. I know i could use the normal Pod XT with a power-amp but it'll be neater to have both things in a rack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't forget the Xt live which is what I use and is basically the same as the other two but in a pedal board housing...For about 500$

This guy from the line6 forum uses the Xt to record and I think it sounds quite good..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/marauder_music.htm

It's actually a good panel of what you can do with the Xt, there 's also probably the "metal shop" upgrade installed which is amazing really...

Anyway it's just a great piece of gear and you can't really go wrong with it...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shredchris said:
THe cool thing about the Xt is that the amp tone is really good and the effects are easy to use...Amp tone is more realistic than on the Gt8 IMO, not that it's bad on the Boss but it's just plain better on the Xt...you can still conjure up amazing tone from both units...What kinda tone are you looking for really? I could point you to Xt recorded music so that you can check it out yourself
Whats some of that XT recorded music , give me a link and also what im looking for is a vai/satch tonish thing lol. Also does the Xt have a drum machine or the GT-8?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the guy in my previous post...Satch's tone should be fairly easy to approach with a Xt or a GT8. No drum machine in either units that I know of, definitely not on the Xt, I guess not in the Gt8 either...Vai's tone on the other hand is a lot more difficult, not impossible though, just more of a challenge since there are more variation of his tone along the years whereas Satch's tone has components that are more "trademarkish" if that makes sense to you...Vai's tone on "for the love of god" is way different from the one on "blood & tears", but you can spend time refining the tone you're looking for mixing and matching stompboxes, amps, cabs and mic's + 2 different EQs for each preset, that's a lot to tweak but that's the main thing, you can totally set your tone to your own preferences and almost everything is possible...It's quite amazingly "tube like" in feel and tone too. I usually play a slightly modded, custom tubed JCM2000, and I can 99.9% nail that very tone on my Xt
For the guy before check "cry of the wolf", might be your cup of tea I guess

That other guy has tone for days too, just heavier music and more modern metal than what you are looking for but it will give you another idea

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/writePage.cfm?myType=_music&bandid=147108&bandnamesave=bulb

You can also check out the ION forum at www.instituteofnoise.com and the line 6 POD users forum at http://www.line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I wouldn't do without my tube rig, but it's more because I'm kinda old fashioned than for the sheer tone 'cause the Xt delivers the goods...

I can also try to send you a couple of clips recorded through the Xt if you want me too but a clip without a backing track is kind of pointless, I think the links I provided show more of the possibilties in a musical environment which is basically the purpose

I'll check if I can find some Xt recorded versions of Satch's or Vai's tunes and let you know if I do...

·
Registered
34 Posts
JTM45 said:
I'm also thinking about getting an XT Pro so if you get one you'll have to let us know what you think of it.

I want a rack so that i can get a Tube Power-amp at a later date and use the two together. I know i could use the normal Pod XT with a power-amp but it'll be neater to have both things in a rack.
Yeah no worries, I'm thinking of getting the XT pro to go rack for a TUBE stereo setup. Hopefully I'll get the XT pro along with a Mesa 20/20 stereo power amp, loud enough for gigs and great for home practice. Then maybe add a few more things to the rack. It's supposed to sound really good mixed with the tube power amp, and when you get that Tube saturation it's - *creams*

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess so but I couldn't be positive...I think I heard about that some time ago...

You're more than welcome...

When you get the Xt go to www.customtone.com and you can search for tone presets made up by real people and not line 6 engineers, some are quite good and some need a whole lot of tweaking to sound good. On the same page, download the line 6 edit tool from that website, it allows you to edit your presets visually on the computer screen and it's much easier that way ( especially the post parametric EQ ), you cant then save it either to your hard-drive or direct into you POD by pressing the save button, selecting the location and pressing save a second time...also make sure you get the lateste version available by updating with the line 6 monkey software available at www.line6.com

You'll love your pod, no worries, just take ( alot of ) your time with it to experiment and don't fear using the post EQ to dial in or out certain specific frequencies, that's the key to better tone really...

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
i haven't messed with the pod xt but i have the pod pro rack unit and love it! i can't say enough good about it. i run that through my BBE maximizer and then off to the mesa 50 / 50 power amp to the cabs. i get great sounds...any sound i want. i really only use 2 sounds...clean with some chorus and verb (on the pod fx) and insane distortion like mesa boogie tight bottom end in the vein of stryper / anthrax...that kinda stuff. for recording i use nothing else. it sounds like a great recording of a cab in the studio. i can't believe how great it gets onto tape. i record in my apartment at 2 am and no one hears a sound! it's unreal how great it is in this application. remember, line6 started out designing boxes for direct recording! if you want a sample i can email you one....email me [email protected]

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you love your Pro, definitely check the Xt, I used to have a Pro and now I own a Xt Live and it's just not in the same league : everything the original POD had is in the Xt and then some...and then a whole lot more actually. The main thing in the Xt for me is the post parametric EQ that was missing before. That made it mandatory to have an external EQ with the previous generation. It's no longer the case and that's good...Also the XT sounds a lot more like the real thing when recorded direct to disk and is way more tweakable as far as effects are concerned. But any POD sounds good... USB connectivity makes it easier to upgrade and tweak as well...And it sounds killer in any tube or SS power amp, so...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts