Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there really a point to having a rack system rather than just a regular tube head?

What are the differences in all power amps?

I guess what it boils down to is why have a huge heavy rack?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well, think about it this way... when you buy an amp head, you basically get a preamp that's been mated to a power amp.

When you go with a rack setup, you get the ability to mate the preamp of your choice with the power amp, so you can have additional flexibility. Almost every power amp has different output levels, voicings, etc, so this pairing can be critical to achieving your "dream tone".

Plus, if you use rack-based effects, you can significantly cut down your setup time.

In my case, I haven't found racks (relatively small ones 4-6 spaces) with a preamp, poweramp, and some basic FX to be any heavier than amp heads. Now, of course, if you've got several FX units, several preamps, and several power amps in a rack, then I'm sure it'll make the head comparably light.

--B

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i was just wondering cause i have a digitech valve FX and a rocktron hush super c that are both rack mountable.

Does anyone know anything about these two products? good bad?

Can the digitech serve as a preamp?

Would it be worth getting a power amp for these things?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmmmmmm well thanks for the replies guys. These racks just always baffled me and i never saw the purpose. I get it now though, preamps and power amps are different and with a plain head you're stuck with what you got. I guess i'll just stay with my mesa rectifier solo 50 with matching cab and a boss me-50. Simple..........but effective.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Actually, the ValveFX is both preamp and FX unit, so all you'd need would be a power amp to complete the package. Don't have any experience, but I did have a 2101 (which was supposed to be similar to the ValveFX) and I wasn't blown away with the preamp tone (the FX, though, were pretty cool).

--B

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
My Triaxis/2:90 system and my Marshall 9200/JMP-1 (especially this one) systems were both considerably heavier than any head I ever owned, and that was without adding in processors and other rack gear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the best thing with a rack is that its easy to set it up for lives and rehearsals and protects your gear, you can have many presets midi programable but they are heavy and you need more time to tweek it to your needs, you have to midi programm it and etc...

i had a Triaxis/2:90 rack and now i sold the 2:90 and got a Mark IV Short head.. it's smaller and lighter and sounds as good... i just got tired with the rack...

now i only want to sell the triaxis...:)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Rule one of a killer guitar sound: the more moving flashing lights the better your sound (or the mosre distraction from it sucking!)

Actually rack unit wise you can switch everything from effects, to preamps to power amp settings with just one floor board. And all you really have to do is plug in your guitar, floorbaoard and speakers and you are ready to go. I do love rack systems, they aren't build for simplicity, but if you want a wide range of sounds without a huge collection of amps then they are ace :)

James

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
7 Dying Trees said:
Rule one of a killer guitar sound: the more moving flashing lights the better your sound (or the mosre distraction from it sucking!)

James
Flashing lights and distracting people from my sound is all that matters (to the audience anyway :) .

I got into racks a few years ago, and I have never looked back. I find the controllability very useful. I use lots of different guitars, and rather than having to tweak settings everytime I change, I just switch onto a different bank of patches, and I am away. So I can change axe, but still maintain the basic sond I like.

Another plus with rack stuff is that if you want to upgrade you can do it one piece at a time. Better than forking out for a new head if all you want is more power, and you can always switch back to the other stuff if you need less oompah. Also as rack gear is probably not as popular as it used to be, you can get some serious bits of kit for v. little. I am geuinely surprised at how little JMP1s go for on ****.

As well as the flashing lights, I have a Behringer tube composer that has all the dials and needles too. It looks like a super computer from the 1960s. As I said I really do need to distract people from my playing, it is why I have flourescent guitars also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.