Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I downloaded the tab for this and is not easy, hybrid picking or finger picked, I kinda like it but I can see how old timers may not lol is like a combination of technical guitar playing with Korean style pop band mixed

what I like the most is his guitar, this is a custom Ibanez nowhere to be found, he apparently is a fan of Steve Vai hence then tree of life, but I can see Ibanez releasing a signature model based on his guitar in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a couple of friends who are guitar teachers, and they say most kids these days have Tim Henson as their favourite guitarist. He's definitely going to be a huge influence in the future of guitar-based music.

As for guitars, youngsters don't care about the guitar heroes of old. I can see Ibanez having a plan to turn Tim Henson into the new Vai, starting with his own tree of life (he has a couple of different guitars with those thorns and roses) and multiple different models.

Personally, if they ever release that AZ with the tree of life he uses in the Neural DSP promo (hopefully with some other color options), I'll grab one without question.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple of friends who are guitar teachers, and they say most kids these days have Tim Henson as their favourite guitarist. He's definitely going to be a huge influence in the future of guitar-based music.

As for guitars, youngsters don't care about the guitar heroes of old. I can see Ibanez having a plan to turn Tim Henson into the new Vai, starting with his own tree of life (he has a couple of different guitars with those thorns and roses) and multiple different models.

Personally, if they ever release that AZ with the tree of life he uses in the Neural DSP promo (hopefully with some other color options), I'll grab one without question.
considering how many people like him, it would a dumb move for Ibanez not to make him a signature artist with his own electric and acoustic, there are already plenty of people on the interbwes wanting to have his acoustic guitar, but it wont be cheap for sure

unless the guy doesn't want a signature model

·
Registered
2 Posts
considering how many people like him, it would a dumb move for Ibanez not to make him a signature artist with his own electric and acoustic, there are already plenty of people on the interbwes wanting to have his acoustic guitar, but it wont be cheap for sure

unless the guy doesn't want a signature model
He's already a signature artist and has the THBB10, but they need to move him up a tier of two (MIJ, multiple models, etc) so I can buy this guitar :p

·
Registered
552 Posts
That whole trap/EDM/hip hop influenced shred style has been growing a lot last 3-4 years.

Personally I find it a little bland, although they're astonishing musicians. More power to them though. Good to see something new and technical coming through.

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
I find Polyphia very interesting, but I’m one of those old timers ;) I think the technicality is now so advanced that it interferes with the music. It kinda just sounds like overly complex amine background music to me.

With regards to sales, I wonder whether Polyphia fans, who seemingly are younger, have the cash to drop on a Japanese Ibanez? How flexible is the bank of mom and dad to buy a guitar these days?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeah... Their hip hop turned guitary music is very interesting and complex, but doesn't really generate much emotion for me. Super impressive playing and so so so tight, but I just can't listen to much of their music. Talent is off the charts though!! I'm glad to see youger musicians striving to break new ground and be a virtuoso, very refreshing, the opposite of what happened in the 90's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I find Polyphia very interesting, but I’m one of those old timers ;) I think the technicality is now so advanced that it interferes with the music. It kinda just sounds like overly complex amine background music to me.
I'm from the same old school. I listened to it once, with respect and admiration, but it is not the kind of thing that I will keep listening on and on.

Isn't him the guy who said to Rick Beato that we "bend like boomers"? :D

If by that he means the melodic nuances of a David Gilmour, Andrew Latimer, Steve Rothery or BB King bend, I rather keep trying to bend like a boomer than improving my hyper-technique (which I don't think I could improve much at my old age anyway 😅)

·
Registered
655 Posts
it's technically very very impressive...cool to listen to in small doses, but i kind of prefer a little more melody (i actually like vocals which is why satriani is so good to me, i don't miss vocals in his instrumental stuff)...just my personal opinion and yes i'm blown away by the technique...d.m.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The boys have been around for over a decade, though their trap/edm influenced sound/arrangements are a more recent thing. The new tune is cool, but I still can't quite do piezo nylon string tone :LOL:, though it suits their music, and pickups have come along way over the past decades.

Hah, so many people got triggered by the 'boomer bend' comment. Pretty sure he was kidding.

Those 'classical' AZSs are in the works, I believe. The sigs they've had for some years now are Premium, which are already like $1500. If they were Prestige they'd be over 2k easily. The grey LACS one in the plugin vid is pretty nice.

Ibanez did do a solid, electric nylon years ago (SC500N), though they're pretty rare.

It's a win for Ibanez. 30-35 years ago, they scooped up all the hot guitarists like Satch, Vai, Gilbert, Timmons etc., and now they've done it again recently by giving AZs to these guys, math rockers and fusiony types. It's good advertising - wanna play what the proverbial black belts are using? Get an Ibanez.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

As a guitar teacher, I disagree. Most of my students still cite ACDC, Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, Black Sabbath etc as their main influences, even the 7-8yr olds.... maybe 1 out of every 50 students has even heard of Tim Henson. They aren't mainstream so will never have the influence of Clapton, Hendrix, etc. Great musician for sure, but like Vai, Satriani etc its niche stuff.

·
Administrator
7,525 Posts
As a guitar teacher, I disagree. Most of my students still cite ACDC, Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, Black Sabbath etc as their main influences, even the 7-8yr olds.... maybe 1 out of every 50 students has even heard of Tim Henson. They aren't mainstream so will never have the influence of Clapton, Hendrix, etc. Great musician for sure, but like Vai, Satriani etc its niche stuff.
I've just finished jamming along to some GnR, even in "my day" where Vai was single handedly selling out Donnington (ok, so he had some help from various "ok" singers called David ;) ) bands like Led Zeppelin, ACDC and Metallica were the "go to" references and I imagine they still are today, it's fairly easy even for a beginner to get a half decent intro to Sweet Child o' Mine or Whole lotta love or... GOAT is a bit trickier ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I clicked on two of the above videos to see what all of the excitement was about

and couldnt make it longer than a few seconds

and that was just the audio

sorry

:sick: :cry:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've just finished jamming along to some GnR, even in "my day" where Vai was single handedly selling out Donnington (ok, so he had some help from various "ok" singers called David ;) ) bands like Led Zeppelin, ACDC and Metallica were the "go to" references and I imagine they still are today, it's fairly easy even for a beginner to get a half decent intro to Sweet Child o' Mine or Whole lotta love or... GOAT is a bit trickier ;)
My kid, like his parents, grew up listening to our mother and father’s music in the house. My son is 26 and he likes all the same bands that I like. 70’s and 80’s rock mostly. His Uncle is Kelly Keaggy from Night Ranger. My son loves Night Ranger, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio. All the stuff that I grew up listening to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts