Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Uh, I was expecting somethinng closer to a BRMR, but you don't have enough mirror on your top to be a BRMR. It's nice , but I wouldn't be calling it a poor man's BRMR, that is just wrong. That's like putting a multi-color swirl pick guard on a VWH & calling it a poor man's MC.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it easy man. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings with the thread's title. I happen tol like it and this guitar does play a LOT better than my 77FP or a few real Jems I've played.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Uh, I was expecting somethinng closer to a BRMR, but you don't have enough mirror on your top to be a BRMR. It's nice , but I wouldn't be calling it a poor man's BRMR, that is just wrong. That's like putting a multi-color swirl pick guard on a VWH & calling it a poor man's MC.
The entire point of it being 'poor mans' is its not the full fat real deal. Sure, he could have had it refinished in chrome by any number of luthiers, but it would have cost a lot more than it obviously has and it wouldn't affect the playability at all.

Congrats on another succesful mod OP, I've never been big on any mirror stuff, but that looks like its become a real nice guitar.

----------------
Now playing: Joanna Newsom - 01 - Erin
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I kind of agree with the somewhat abrasive GTR-MAN...although you are not far from a killer axe imo. If you can afford to put Breeds in there all the better. Also, I would've added chrome vol/tone pots just to add a little more of the chrome feel.

Is that a white headstock?

Looks good, man...just (personally) needs more chrome stuff on it :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can afford to put Breeds in there all the better. Also, I would've added chrome vol/tone pots just to add a little more of the chrome feel.

Is that a white headstock?

Looks good, man...just (personally) needs more chrome stuff on it :D
I do have chrome knobs, but I thought it looks better with these black ones. The bridge pup is a evolution. And the headstock is white, yes. It's a 7VWH neck that I don't dare to change the color o_O

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I like those knobs better, but for some reason they almost always looks bad on pickguards. must be the added height of the guard makes 'em taller than your normal knobs. I like it though, and I thought the thread title was pretty accurate! You should get some chrome bobbin toppers or something.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poverty is a **** ain't it? ;)
Nah,.. I find it nicer to get a bunch of decent guitars and making them look the way I like. I rather buy 10 used RG550's and fool around with them than paying my a55 off for a real Jem that I'm even too afraid to touch.

And after all, I wouldn't call this a cheap guitar. Not a Jem but not a Squier :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The entire point of it being 'poor mans' is its not the full fat real deal. Sure, he could have had it refinished in chrome by any number of luthiers, but it would have cost a lot more than it obviously has and it wouldn't affect the playability at all.

Congrats on another succesful mod OP, I've never been big on any mirror stuff, but that looks like its become a real nice guitar.

----------------
Now playing: Joanna Newsom - 01 - Erin
via FoxyTunes
I understand the point of "poor man's BRMR" , but I just don't see it when I look at the pictures. If it was, a person should be able to look at it without any caption or title & think "hey that kinda looks like a BRMR". If he never titled it as such, nobody would be say , hey that looks like a BRMR". Still a BRMR has a mirror top, I was expecting a mirror top. If someone listed a "poor mans" MC, but it only had a swirl pickguard, I'd be disappointed.

For a poor man's BRMR I'd expect like tin foil glued to the top. Or some cheap mirror material from a hardware store or something covering the whole top that was somewhat reflective. Something other than a pickguard. You can put a mirror pickguard on any guitar, but that doesn't make it a BRMR in any sense, rich or poor.

I had BRMR , & looking at this guitar I just don't get the same feel. At all, even stretching my imagination. IT IS A NICE AXE! He did a GREAT job!

I did say it was nice, for what it is ,poor man's or rich man's, it's still a nice axe & I think He did a wonderful job with it. It's just the title of the thread is a bit misleading that's all. What's next? A flower sticker on a Ibanez GIO, & someone trying to pass it off as a poor man's FP?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
@ GTR-MAN: Rich would call a JS1600 with matching headstock and a whammy a poor man's chromeboy. It's comparable. I see where Rich and the OP are coming from, really.

But even though this guitar is something along the lines of a BRMR, it isn't a BRMR. :wink: But it's not a big deal is it?

:)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Very very sweet looking guitar! I like it alot!

How's about Air Nortons in the bridge and in the neck to match its ephemeral looks. And maybe something a little hot and mid rangy in the middle to give some bite to the split coil sounds.

Steve

1 - 20 of 48 Posts