Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1741 - 1760 of 1790 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I always loved the design of a RG. But i want some kindo vintage inspiration on it, sometimes.

Some, says she looks more like a TAM10 but to me, it is looking more like an 60s strat without dents, scars and discoloration :)

Pickups:
Bridge: Seymour Duncan Custom V
Middle: Dimarzio IBZ
Neck: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (Bridge version)

Hope you like?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess I could post mine.

An RG760 which was spray painted by previous owner. Now hidden with a tape which I thought would be a temporary solution but I've kinda grown to like it. Most fun part is that my 1-year old who's Lego's I got the idea from is trying to grab them from the body while I play.

It is currently stock except for the pickups which are an EMG81 in the bridge and some unknown EMG's in the middle and the neck.

I re-finished the back of the neck to a satin finish and gave the frets a little rub while I had the body taped.

Pics:

Before:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...092C52!594&parId=546A9DCD55092C52!592&o=OneUp
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...092C52!658&parId=546A9DCD55092C52!592&o=OneUp

After:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...092C52!655&parId=546A9DCD55092C52!592&o=OneUp
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...092C52!659&parId=546A9DCD55092C52!592&o=OneUp
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...092C52!656&parId=546A9DCD55092C52!592&o=OneUp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Embarking on some further mods.
Despite the original looks, under the hood it's reasonably modified. The edge zero 2 trem / zps has been fettled and works beautifully, the sustain block has been replaced with a heavier unit and the wiring has a twin tone cap mod.

I'm trying to find a black pearloid pickguard for this 2016 RG350DXZ DVM - and a middle single coil preferably with a chrome bobbin or pickup cover, that isn't a shrieking angry pixie.

Can anyone suggest? Perhaps something that has worked for you. Not a shredder pickup, more of a traditional strat middle, but with a little more upper-mid poke.

The humbuckers are Gibson BBPro's and the wiring has a killswitch in P4 at the moment. I am thinking about getting rid of the 5way and going further with phase switching and a varitone style dial. (ES345)

for now.... this is it - suggestions welcomed.
Musical instrument Photograph Guitar String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
15 Posts
My latest. Took a 2015 used Jem jr from Guitar Center Used.com (like 300 bucks). It wasn't in great condition. A little banged up, some nicks, the original plain white pickguard, the previous owner took out the whole trem bar assembly etc. I put in an original Floyd, replaced the pickguard for a tortoise Black pick guard, threw in Dimarzio SD3 (bridge), Dimarzio Paul Gilbert injector (mid) and an Dimarzio Evo (neck), and for poops and giggles, and cause i had them laying around like all the other hardware and electronics I used on this, I installed locking tuners cause they were black and matched the Floyd and nut. And to add a little cool character I added two home made stickers to the body. This thing sounds amazing. I wasn't sure how these pups would sound together, but I really enjoy this guitar now. And since all this was spare parts laying around in boxes, all I bought brand new was the pick guard for like 16 bucks. Not to shabby

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello folks!

I'm gonna go ahead and show you my guitar. So, this was the first mid-range-kinda-decent guitar that I was able to buy with my own money (musical instruments in Costa Rica can get quite expensive because of the import taxes and all that crap) so you might imagine that I have some emotional attachment to it. Here's an old pic of me playing my good old 2011 RG350MDX:

With time, and as I grew older and started getting other Ibanez guitars, I stopped playing this one but I just could not sell it. I was tired of the sharktooth inlay and the overall "way too high school metal band" guitar looks of it. So when I started getting my own money I began a little project of mine to get this one back on track:

* First of all, pickup replacements: Dropped in a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge position and a DiMarzio Liquifire in the neck position. I kept the single coil Infinity there because I really like its sound in the split positions. Almost piezo-ish in clean setups and somewhat strat-ish in dirtier setups.
* Replaced all the electronics for CTS components. You know, the good stuff you can get from Stewmac.
* Replaced the black metal knobs with strat-type black knobs. I really like how thew look on the Jems, the old JPs and those awesome new Marco Sfogli's RGs.
* Now, the neck: I found on ebay a Wizard II neck from a 2011 S420. I really liked the fact that it had no fret markers but the ones on the 12th fret, and its rosewood fretboard. Quite a 180 degree change in the looks considering that this guitar had a maple fretboard with sharktooth inlays in it. I was pretty sure that this neck was going to be a direct swap as well: same production year, same Indonesian factory, same neck model. So I ended up purchasing it and getting stainless steel frets in it, the guy that did the job also put stainless steel screws in the locking nut, very nice of him.
* Finally, I got rid of the Edge III bridge and got an Edge Pro in there.

Here is how it looks now:

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my sleeper Prestige. Titled Mr. Hyde. I can't even tell you what model prestige at the moment. It's been so long since I bought this and I've bought, repainted, and sold a bunch. I stripped it down, repainted it, and made some tricky electronic mods.

The stock electronics are gone for the most part. The blade switch is still there just to mess with people, because it doesn't work. This guitar has been set up with PRS Dragon II pickups and PRS electronics, to include the PRS 5-way switch. The tone knob is fixed to wide open and the middle pup is dead.

The tone of this thing is absolutely insane. I cannot tell you the number of guys that have asked me how I get my growly tone out of the Ibanez pups, especially with the blade switch set to the neck position. I would just smile and tell them it's all in the hands.

I haven't played this guitar in many years, so if anyone is interested in it, send me a PM. It was made in 2005, in Japan by Team J. Craft and comes with the Prestige Team J Craft case.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my old Ibanez RG1570. I wanted to refinish this one in kind of a tribute to my favorite guitarist at the time. Normally the Petrucci Picasso has two solid colors. But I was just getting into chameleon paints and decided to paint the Picasso using two different chameleon paint colors. So no matter what angle you are looking at it, you are seeing different colors. Fun project. I didn't really modify anything else. Just the paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
This is my old Ibanez RG1570. I wanted to refinish this one in kind of a tribute to my favorite guitarist at the time. Normally the Petrucci Picasso has two solid colors. But I was just getting into chameleon paints and decided to paint the Picasso using two different chameleon paint colors. So no matter what angle you are looking at it, you are seeing different colors. Fun project. I didn't really modify anything else. Just the paint.
DAMN! That's nice!!! Well done!

1741 - 1760 of 1790 Posts