Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, investigating the electronics of a newly acquired UV7BK, I noticed what I believe are way too lowly rated pots. I only managed to grab a pic of the tone pot, but am I reading this correctly? 15 K? Isn't that waaay low? I assume none of this is original... I also have to change the switch (3 to 5 way) and I'd love to find a UV7BK wiring diagram. All links I've tried to follow have been sadly dead.

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
15 K is usually used with active pickups.
Maybe that is reason why you have 3 way switch.
For some time guitar could had 2 EMG pickups.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
15 K is usually used with active pickups.
Maybe that is reason why you have 3 way switch.
For some time guitar could had 2 EMG pickups.
Hmm okay, ah didn't know. But I don't think this is the case - no other routing work has been done to fit a battery compartment (and it doesn't seem to be any space for a battery in the control cavity)

EDIT: I talked to the previous owner and he had it replaced for a 3 way switch to minimize the risk of accidentally switching position in live settings

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not sure why a 15K pot would be used there. Maybe the previous owner liked the way it influenced the sound, or when swapping stuff out they didn't know better and just grabbed whatever value pot. Whatever the case it will not hurt anything electrically. It's just going to influence the overall tone and how the highs roll off. If you like it, then great leave it that way. If not swap it out for a different value. 500k is standard for humbuckers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure why a 15K pot would be used there. Maybe the previous owner liked the way it influenced the sound, or when swapping stuff out they didn't know better and just grabbed whatever value pot. Whatever the case it will not hurt anything electrically. It's just going to influence the overall tone and how the highs roll off. If you like it, then great leave it that way. If not swap it out for a different value. 500k is standard for humbuckers.
Yeah maybe, but I'm getting conflicting info now from the ibanez jem/uv/... facebook group. People are confirming the pots as original with the 15 K markings being unrelated to the resistance. I've just ordered a new, functioning multimeter to take some measurements just to be sure.

·
Registered
437 Posts
UV7BK uses 500k tone pot. Part number is 3VR1J500.

That said, some people on a facebook group said it might be 15k, so that MUST be true... -.-

That pot you showed? Thats a linear pot from a nutone intercom.

People on facebook groups said so? now THATS a reliable source of information.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
UV7BK uses 500k tone pot. Part number is 3VR1J500.

That said, some people on a facebook group said it might be 15k, so that MUST be true... -.-

That pot you showed? Thats a linear pot from a nutone intercom.

People on facebook groups? now THATS a reliable source of information.
Hey man, did I say it MUST be true? :smile: calm down now, get back to our PM discussion, I've never tried arguing with you, just trying to tone down the subjectiveness. And can you back your claims about the nutone intercom pot? As always, I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you prove it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey man, did I say it MUST be true? :smile: calm down now, get back to our PM discussion, I've never tried arguing with you, just trying to tone down the subjectiveness. And can you back your claims about the nutone intercom pot? As always, I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you prove it?
No, I will not "prove" its a nutone intercom pot. Of all the @#$% on the planet, I pull out "nutone intercom pot", show you the actual damn part number for an ibanez uv7bk tone pot, and you want me to "prove its a nutone pot". Are you joking me? Take it or leave, I really dont care. And theres nothing "subjective" about giving you a part number and telling you what it is specfiically.

calm down now, get back to our PM discussion,
pretty faux pas to bring up private conversations in public format. Go back to your facebook groups, they clearly have all the answers that YOU find acceptable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts