Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first post firstly, hello :)

So I'm looking to buy a particular guitar, 2009 RG3570Z, and I got some more close up photos sent through from the (very helpful) seller.

On all my other older Ibanez's the frets are like mirrors despite a lot more use than this (assumption).

I like the guitar but this concerns me and I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Dunc.

Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Wood Musical instrument Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
I'd suggest that the fret oxidation is probably because the guitar simply hasn't been used. masking the fretboard off and polishing the frets with some wire wool or some silver polish and a microfibre cloth "should" return it to a nice playable finish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd suggest that the fret oxidation is probably because the guitar simply hasn't been used. masking the fretboard off and polishing the frets with some wire wool or some silver polish and a microfibre cloth "should" return it to a nice playable finish.
Agreed. How's the rest of the hardware? Is the bridge also corroded like this? That would be harder to fix, might need to accept aging or replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, as long as they clean up and it plays well I'm happy as cosmetics don't bother me too much.It's the fact I've got older guitars (mainly ibanez), that also don't get played, but the frets are fine that worries me.

Why is this different.

The rest of the hardware looks ok.

Thanks again,
Dunc.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know you're not in the USA... But I bought these a few weeks ago and they are friggin awesome! Makes polishing the frets easier, and they come in sets so you can work up to 2k grit. You may be able to find something like it where you are.

Baroque Guitar Fret Grit Erasers Easy & Fast Polishing Abrasive Rubber Blocks Cleaner Tools kit for Guitar Fret & Strings, Set of 5 Size in 180 400 1000 1500 2000 Grit (FSE-20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08953DWNX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_454NK80MSFVEJ1Y7DGVF

·
Registered
700 Posts
Probably down to the way the guitar was stored - nickel oxidizes fairly easily at the best of times, and excess humidity can be one cause. I had a beater which was stored in an uninsulated attic for several years, and the frets looked similar when I pulled it out. Cleaned them up with some fine steel wool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I've decided to go for it. I'm looking forward too seeing how I get on with the super wizard, currently using a wizard prestige neck.

Thanks again for the advice, extremely helpful.

Dunc.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would caution you, if you go the steel wool route, to mask off your pickups as steel wool gets in everything and everywhere. I use sandpaper and still mask off the pups. I use 400,600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit from the auto parts store. May be a good time to check if the frets are all level.

After the sand paper, I shine em up with Gorgamyte. And from then on use a little Gorgamyte with string changes. It’s fast and easy and leaves the frets smooth and shiny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noted and thanks to you for this and the other posters for their hints/tips as well :)

Cheers,
Dunc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts