Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an SK through a friend that looked to be rather mint. I received additional pictures and it does have a couple dings. The plaint is fairly amazing and vibrant - almost like it's not original paint...what do you guys think of this one? At first I wasn't sure I could live with the chip through to the wood, but now I think the chip that's touched up the strap lock may be the no go - and at the same time, I think it's very nice - that could just be me running out of patience to secure an SK...also does it look right to you experts? right tremolo etc

my concern is that the LNG and DY I have are in top top shape

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
well funnily enough im thinking of buying one aswell im looking at with ith an edge and its mint...its hard not to im thinking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just curious - the one on *bay? I'm considering that one now too - weighing if the body dings bother me more than the crack by the locknut

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I'd snag that if for no reason other than the quality of the paint. You can tell that it's very neon/magenta next to the pink lining of the case. On many SK's, the guitar looks almost orange next to the lining of the case.

Despite the chip, what you have there is an example of very well-preserved paint. And the fretboard is clean. Those are the two biggest factors to me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'd snag that if for no reason other than the quality of the paint. You can tell that it's very neon/magenta next to the pink lining of the case. On many SK's, the guitar looks almost orange next to the lining of the case.

Despite the chip, what you have there is an example of very well-preserved paint. And the fretboard is clean. Those are the two biggest factors to me.
Yep all the above, Hell I have one in alot worse shape than that, i would not pass on that!

·
Registered
403 Posts
My DY has a chip to the wood in about the same spot as the SK you're looking at. I suppose that is an '87 SK?

I was tempted to bid on the one from australia on the bay also.

My LNG and DY are both '87's so I would like to have my SK be an '87 also. Having the whole set of original 777's all '87s would be the ultimate collection to me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So this is what I 'know' so far:

the paint is 100% original

The guitar was acquired by a someone else in the late 90's from Ibanez's private stock, delivered mint with the pictured tremolo

the question they don't know is whether it was shipped that way by Ibanez or changed down the road.

It is an 87

Right now we're talking $2,400...I think 2K would be better

If I don't move forward I'll let all interested know how to contact him.

Maybe Rich can chime in on the trem and his thoughts?

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
It's just a trem swap. Easy enough, they're direct swaps. Some people prefer the Lo Pro.

I just looked at my SK yesterday and I kind of wish I was in on this one. Mine has no chips and a dead mint board, but it's a tiny bit faded.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My DY has a chip to the wood in about the same spot as the SK you're looking at. I suppose that is an '87 SK?

I was tempted to bid on the one from australia on the bay also.

My LNG and DY are both '87's so I would like to have my SK be an '87 also. Having the whole set of original 777's all '87s would be the ultimate collection to me.
She still found a jemsite home and she will remain mint. I'll post a NGD when she arrives!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
It's just a trem swap. Easy enough, they're direct swaps. Some people prefer the Lo Pro.

I just looked at my SK yesterday and I kind of wish I was in on this one. Mine has no chips and a dead mint board, but it's a tiny bit faded.
THIS^^^

When the Lo-Pro first came out...everyone wanted one. The swapped them out often, not thinking about future value/originality.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
As in, repainted, stripped, became donors for swirl projects, extremely poorly taken care of, etc.

I'd venture a guess that a really mint SK is probably the second hardest Jem to find, after a VSK.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sadly this doesnt surprise me, these guitars are still very very niche.
Most guitarists i know think they're hideous.

I have 2 SKs, both in excellent +++ with no dings. Just slight fading on the body paint, though weirdly both headstocks are super bright - maybe cause there's no clear coat?

They're both amazing to play. They're the definition of ugly-beautiful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts