Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I've got a couple questions here, looking for review/recommendation

i play primarily with a Digitech Valve-fx processor (near identical to Digitech 2120, minus the second effects stage and only 1u rack) and i just run it into PA at shows, but I've been wanting to get my own "rig" per se and put together a nice rack setup. I've been looking at a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp hoping it will give me good tube power with the incredible control of sound i like to have with my processor. since I'm putting together a rack, what else should i get for it, or even should i consider something else? like line conditioners and what kind etc.

In this setup, what kind of cab is recommended? i know i want it to be stereo through and through, but whats a good well rounded choice for progressive rock music considering the gear?

Also, does anybody recommend building my own cab? i would love to, but just don't know if it would be worth it, being an amateur woodworker - but it could possibly be the cheapest alternative with the best results? yes?

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The 20/20 is a good bet. I'm currently using a 50/50 and it will do the trick. A minimal rack set up should include a power conditioner, preamp, power amp and speaker cabinet.

In a rack setup, your life will be a little simpler if you use a power conditioner. It will also protect your gear -- some conditioners will protect more than others.

When I buy a new cab, which I expect to do soon, I'll probably get one for Avatar speakers: www.avatar.com I think. Looks like decent quality at very decent prices. Build one if you have the woodworking skill. Plans should be easy to come by on the 'net.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang, the more i think about this power amplifier thing the more excited i get, i cant wait to get one! now to find one used cheap, haha

EDIT
the site is avatarspeakers.com , google to the rescue, was confused thinking the network consultants at avatar.com had speakers tucked away somewhere hahah

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Good luck finding one cheap. They're usually $400 and up. If cheap is a priority look at the Peavey Classic power amps. They have a 60/60 and a 50/50 me thinks. I've never used one, but people seem to like them well enough, and you'll save money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just ordered a mesa boogie 20/20 from guitar center for $399.00 :) I will let you know how it sounds when it comes in.
I also just bought a POD XT PRO for the rack and also a furman PL8II just to be safe ;)

kbh said:
Howdy,
I've got a couple questions here, looking for review/recommendation

i play primarily with a Digitech Valve-fx processor (near identical to Digitech 2120, minus the second effects stage and only 1u rack) and i just run it into PA at shows, but I've been wanting to get my own "rig" per se and put together a nice rack setup. I've been looking at a Mesa/Boogie 20/20 stereo power amp hoping it will give me good tube power with the incredible control of sound i like to have with my processor. since I'm putting together a rack, what else should i get for it, or even should i consider something else? like line conditioners and what kind etc.

In this setup, what kind of cab is recommended? i know i want it to be stereo through and through, but whats a good well rounded choice for progressive rock music considering the gear?

Also, does anybody recommend building my own cab? i would love to, but just don't know if it would be worth it, being an amateur woodworker - but it could possibly be the cheapest alternative with the best results? yes?

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The velocity isn't tube though, is it?

I have the 20 20, excellent amp. I downgraded from the 2/95 and don't regret it at all.
plus the 2/95 was a 3 space amp, the 20 is 1 :), and it weighs half a ton less. :)

great amps.

Bamm

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Actually, I'll stick with my MosValve for now, but $399 is cheaper than they usually sell for used on that e-site...

Roger

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah i thought those 20/20's sold for like $700. I wouldn't mind one just for the sake of 1U and weight vs. 2U with the Peavey Classic 50/50 I use. I got the 50/50 for $300 used. A benefit that it has in addition to Presence, a Resonance control for each channel which is like a low end control. Can add massive thump. Probably because EL84's aren't big in the low end like EL34's or 6550's.

·
Registered
363 Posts
gmeanie said:
NOPE brand new from mesa themselves.
May I ask how you managed? They sent me their price list and its $750.

Edit: OK...I just saw the GC reference, I guess that explains it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When guitar center told me 399.00 i thought they made a mistake because they sell for more on fleabay :) But $399.00 isn't a bad price for me should be in the end of this week or beginning of next.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah they had some sily prices apparently. Some guys over in the HC forum scored Simul 2:90's for $499, Recto 2:100 for $499, VHT 2-50-2 for $519 and a Marshall El34 100/100 for $800.

Crazy stuff., I wish I was American!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts