Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes thats dead on. It sits between the amps speaker output and the speaker imput. Its just a device that converts the electrical energy into heat energy. I can't imagine how it would have any amp safety issuse though, the only issue i can think of is that it would have to have good ventilation to dissipate the heat through the air otherwise it could possibly be a fire hazard.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Heres a good quote from the THD website for their Hot Plate:

''Will it hurt my amp?''
''The THD Hot Plate® will not damage your amplifier. When you play continuously at full output, you cause your tubes to age more quickly than they would at lower volumes. Using a Hot Plate® will maintain the life of your tubes at exactly the same rate, no more or less, as when you play straight through the speaker.

Using a Hot Plate® will also not hurt your transformer any more than playing through a speaker, as long as the impedances are matched (i.e. 8 ohm setting on the amp, 8 ohm speakers and an 8 ohm attenuator). If you are using a well-made amp, then the transformer should last indefinitely, regardless of whether you are driving a speaker or attenuator. If you are using an inferior amp and the transformer blows, it would have done this whether you play through a speaker or an attenuator. The Hot Plate® puts the same load on the transformer as a speaker (which is why it makes such a good dummy load).''

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.