Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Im currently building my first proper home studio , and im running into a few problems!

I bought an M Audio Porjectmix I/O interface , to control my sonar 8.
I tried (for the first time) micing up my guitar rig ; ada 3tm , 2:90 , gmaj , with
a shure sm57 going into the preamps on my projectmix...

the recorded sound was NOT what i was expecting - now i know all about mic placement etc and experimented for 3 hours with that , and as fun as it was, it was also slightly disappointing because after spending all the cash on the projectmix , it didnt sound great :(

Now there could be 2 reasons i can see , why this happened the first one im not sure on so i need some comments from you guys ;

I used an XLR to 1/4inch jack wire on the mic , which went into a LINE LEVEL input on the projectmix , as i didnt have a double ended xlr cable to use the xlr micninput on the projectmix. Would this make a difference in sound ? When i used this setup i only got the left channel of the input metre in sonar detecting inout even though it was set to L&R STEREO

On the other hand it may bet hat the project mixs preamps are crap , i hope im wrong.

What preamps would you guys recommend that are top quality and could be used professionally. If i had a budget of £2000 to get a desk with preamps, what would be best ?

Confusedly Yours

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
m-audio pres are pretty bleh. they are a step up from behringer pres, but not too impressive. is the sm57 the only mic in your cabinet? if it is, then sounds like your going to have a pretty bright and biting tone no matter when you point it. the ada mp-1 has plenty of highs as well, the 57 will bring that out. honestly, i would recommend a ribbon mic and a good 2 channel preamp to accent your rig. a cascade fathead and fmr audio rnp would be your best bet.

rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts