Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal. I have been looking for a decent amp for a good metal tone but tubes are just too loud for living in an apartment. After allot of research I have rules out modeling amps because I don’t want a bunch of sounds I want a rock and metal sound only for now. I have a little Marshall 15 head and just borrowed a peavey rock master preamp. I’m running it through the clean channel. Is there anything negative about doing this? It gets me allot closer to that sound I have been on the hunt for but it’s at low levels and well basically really cheap fix for now. How long do tube preamps last? How should I hook it up?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you like the sound and it's not too noisy, go for it. There's an extra gain stage in there, but as long as there's not excessive hiss you should be OK.

One thing I like about modelers is their stability. You get a sound at low volume, it'll sound much the same at high volume through a PA. And you don't HAVE to use all the amps in a modeler; it's just no cheaper to do a "4 amp" one than a "32 amp" one. It's all down to whether you like the sounds you get or not. Some do, some don't.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
JESTER700 said:
One thing I like about modelers is their stability. You get a sound at low volume, it'll sound much the same at high volume through a PA. And you don't HAVE to use all the amps in a modeler; it's just no cheaper to do a "4 amp" one than a "32 amp" one. It's all down to whether you like the sounds you get or not. Some do, some don't.
Agreed! Especially on the bolded section, which is something no one gets.

JimmyW said:
Mike78 said:
Don´t do that.
do what?
I think he means the amp thing in the main post, though I don't know for sure. Don't see why he'd say don't do it, there's no problem at all that I can see.

Mike78, can you post more?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
What;s your budget like? there's some VERY low wattage tube amps out there that might do the trick for you...

-D

·
Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i keep this preamp i got about 300 left for a power amp cuz the solid state doesnt mike well with the tube pre

·
Registered
395 Posts
Drew said:
What;s your budget like? there's some VERY low wattage tube amps out there that might do the trick for you...

-D
Actually there is a great shortage of low wattage valve equipment what amps are you considering? 7 watts of tube is pretty loud even below 5 watts doesn't count as low wattage. To be low wattage I consider less than 2 watts sufficient!!!! :twisted:

Freak :twisted:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Two hands31 said:
JESTER700 said:

JimmyW said:
Mike78 said:
Don´t do that.
do what?
I think he means the amp thing in the main post, though I don't know for sure. Don't see why he'd say don't do it, there's no problem at all that I can see.

Ok.

Once I bought a JMP-1 and decided to use it with my Marshall VS100 combo. Sounded so bad; I went to the store and picked my money back; sold the VS and decided to do that with a real power-amp and cabinets.

You won´t be able to crank the preamp level using a small combo.

·
Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike78 said:
Two hands31 said:
JESTER700 said:

JimmyW said:
Mike78 said:
Don´t do that.
do what?

Ok.

Once I bought a JMP-1 and decided to use it with my Marshall VS100 combo. Sounded so bad; I went to the store and picked my money back; sold the VS and decided to do that with a real power-amp and cabinets.

You won´t be able to crank the preamp level using a small combo.
;yeah thats what i figured out im just going to return it to my friend cuz i dont like my highs sounding like glass getting scraped :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
JimmyW said:
who makes these low wattage ones? and how much are they?
I can only think of one that is the zvex nano head (I may have got the name wrong my memory is really bad!!) ost people make their own low wattage equipment :wink:

Freak

1 - 16 of 16 Posts