Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I almost made up my mind to purchase the RG927QMZ Premium, but after reading a lot of forums and YouTube vids, I'm in a dilemma whether to go ahead with an Indonesian or a Japanese manufactured guitar. Keeping in mind the budget I have, the premium sounds like a decent bet.

Is it advisable to invest in MII RG927QMZ considering the price tag on it or spend more and buy a prestige? People speak both good and bad about the guitars which are manufactured in Indonesia (MII), especially the finishing, playability, tonality and the even the pups. At the same time some really praise them a lot saying its absolute worth for money in all respects. I read somewhere, the quality of these guitars was average when Ibanez set up factory there but of late the quality has gone up enormously.

I have a JS 1200 (MIJ) and is a brilliant guitar (also the price I paid for it)!! I know the Japs are very thorough with the Q.C. Hence they are more expensive and better quality.

Please shed some light on it.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
From my experience with premiums its really a luck of the draw. I have had a few with dodgy frets and just overall dodgy fitment. Even my current "good" premium has a somewhat misaligned neck which would require some form of shaving in the joint to full get straight.

In contrast I have never had any of these issues with any Prestige I have had. This is why I am somewhat skeptical about the premiums as in a lot of cases there just as or more expensive then a prestige.

If I were you I would spend a little extra a get a nice Prestige 7 String. It maybe just me but I don't really like the one you are looking at, it' is a bit 'meh', but I don't like red guitars :)

Personally I would only ever own Prestige Ibanez guitars but for the fact that I like the neck shapes much much better on the premiums and cheaper RG's (wizard III shapes). But in terms of what you get for the money, really imo there is no beating a prestige.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Hey guys,
I almost made up my mind to purchase the RG927QMZ Premium, but after reading a lot of forums and YouTube vids, I'm in a dilemma whether to go ahead with an Indonesian or a Japanese manufactured guitar. Keeping in mind the budget I have, the premium sounds like a decent bet.

Is it advisable to invest in MII RG927QMZ considering the price tag on it or spend more and buy a prestige? People speak both good and bad about the guitars which are manufactured in Indonesia (MII), especially the finishing, playability, tonality and the even the pups. At the same time some really praise them a lot saying its absolute worth for money in all respects. I read somewhere, the quality of these guitars was average when Ibanez set up factory there but of late the quality has gone up enormously.

I have a JS 1200 (MIJ) and is a brilliant guitar (also the price I paid for it)!! I know the Japs are very thorough with the Q.C. Hence they are more expensive and better quality.

Please shed some light on it.

Many thanks.
If you want the premium I would be glad to give you a list of things to check :

1) string alignment, a little off (e.g. 0.05->0.1mm) is no problem. Measure with a filler gauge the clearance on both sides. Write down the numbers
2) neck stability : check that the neck does not move relative to the body when going from full dive to full pull up
3) nut height. Fret the 2nd fret on each string. It should almost touch the 1st fret
4) nut stability : nut should not move under heavy trem usage
5) pups should not be angled/slanted but parallel to the body
6) raise the action to "silly low" as per Rich's ibanezrules.com site and play every single fret for buzzes, there should be minimal
7) play the guitar under high gain and check the sustain all over the fretboard and strings

ppl feel free to add your checks to the list

also 86boy, if you get this guitar, you most probably would want to change the saddle intonation screws right away : they might be not so good. But this is an easy fix. Also bar in mind that it will take time till you learn all the tricks of the EZ ii-7 ZPS trem!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Personally I would only ever own Prestige Ibanez guitars but for the fact that I like the neck shapes much much better on the premiums and cheaper RG's (wizard III shapes). But in terms of what you get for the money, really imo there is no beating a prestige.
agreed - I have 3 Prestige Ibanez guitars and they are worth the extra money

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,
After much research and contemplation, I finally bought the EBMM JP7 (the super cool Mystic Dream color).
Though it cost me a bomb, the over all feel and tonality is beyond words.
Thanks a lot to all of you for guiding me in the right direction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've owned a fair bit of prestiges and a couple of premiums...and I must say that the money you pay for a NEW premium does not hold up against the quality of the instrument. More often then not the fretwork of irky, and the wood they use is quite bland, where as that from the japanse factories often tends to sing and resonate. I would 100 times sooner buy a used prestige, then a new premium... but yeah, those are my 2 eurocents

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned a fair bit of prestiges and a couple of premiums...and I must say that the money you pay for a NEW premium does not hold up against the quality of the instrument. More often then not the fretwork of irky, and the wood they use is quite bland, where as that from the japanse factories often tends to sing and resonate. I would 100 times sooner buy a used prestige, then a new premium... but yeah, those are my 2 eurocents
Hey man,
Thank you for your advice.
I ended up investing in a Music Man JP7 (Mystic Dream). Its definitely one of the most amazing pieces of craftsmanship.
Pls Check out my youtube link as and when you can -

·
Registered
189 Posts
Which is exactly why I wouldn't buy another Premium either. Of all the premiums that I have had, they have all had QC issues, some worse then others. The fact you can buy a Prestige brand new for less then some of the Premiums really says how screwed up their pricing is. Still can't get over the price of the new Premium Jems and Universe, way more expensive then a similar Prestige is just crazy.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
Which is exactly why I wouldn't buy another Premium either. Of all the premiums that I have had, they have all had QC issues, some worse then others. The fact you can buy a Prestige brand new for less then some of the Premiums really says how screwed up their pricing is. Still can't get over the price of the new Premium Jems and Universe, way more expensive then a similar Prestige is just crazy.
Please compare the price of a VWH to any RG Prestige.

Signature - regular production.
Apples - naval lint.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Please compare the price of a VWH to any RG Prestige.

Signature - regular production.
Apples - naval lint.
I'm not comparing MIJ Jem to a Prestige, not sure if you miss read my post.

I am comparing the over priced MII wanna-be JEM and it being price way way above a similarly spec'd Prestige. Its not like the Premium Jems are even remotely as good as the real deal.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
I know exactly what you were comparing, now compare what I asked.

VWH - $4000
RG655 - $1600

Trying to compare a signature model with royalties paid, very high development costs, and built in fan base of buyers to anything else,
Apples - naval lint.

·
Registered
189 Posts

VWH - $4000
RG655 - $1600

Trying to compare a signature model with royalties paid, very high development costs, and built in fan base of buyers to anything else,
Apples - naval lint.
But the same quality levels per price don't apply to a premium. A VWH is close to a J Custom imo, and a RG655 is bottom of the line prestige.

At least with a proper MIJ Jem you are getting a much better guitar over a normal prestige RG, regardless of royalties paid. The same can't be said for the Premium line.

The Premium Jem is basically just normal Premium RG quality with royalties attached, yet the price is much more, and your not getting that added quality like comparing what you have mentioned VWH - RG655.

Hence why I said may as well buy a Prestige RG2550 or similar for much less then a Premium Jem and get a properly built guitar.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
Absolutely false. The VWH and the 655 are virtually identical. A higher level builder built the JEM, but you can put them side by side and you tell me what's higher quality, please. Same exact hardware, both Dimarzio's, besides the grip, claw, and angled jack, they have virtually the same spec.

JEM70SFG - $2000
RG950QM - $1408

Please tell me where your argument is.

·
Registered
189 Posts

VWH - $4000
RG655 - $1600

Apples - naval lint.
I don't think a VWH is that expensive anyway, RRP is like 4k AUD, well under $3000 usd.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
Those are US LIST prices, everything I put in terms of list, not what MAP policy is, or what some dealer will give it away for after it has collected enough dust and dings on the rack, or what you can buy one used for after rich daddy's boy decided playing steel strings hurt his fingers too much to continue. That's the only way to compare apples with apples.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Absolutely false. The VWH and the 655 are virtually identical. A higher level builder built the JEM, but you can put them side by side and you tell me what's higher quality, please. Same exact hardware, both Dimarzio's, besides the grip, claw, and angled jack, they have virtually the same spec.

JEM70SFG - $2000
RG950QM - $1408

Please tell me where your argument is.
Don't forget the inlays, basically a J Custom neck on a JEM, don't the Jems have rounded fret ends as well? (Not talking poorly done premium version).

The prices you have put up show exactly what I am pointing out. You are paying almost double (depending which premium) for what? Exact same quality guitar (if not worse from the ones I have looked at).

My whole point was to show that you may as well buy a cheaper Prestige, I understand the whole signature deal thing and the extra you pay for it, whether or not you agree with me regarding the Jem being better then a normal prestige doesn't really matter.

From what I have seen over here you can get a Jem 7V for around $3500 aud or less brand spanking new. RG655 or higher model around $1500-$2000 AUD. So I can see the value of buying a Jem, inlays, fancy hardware, MIJ etc etc.

Same can not be said for the premium range, you are solely paying the extra $$$ for the fact its a sig model. Every JEM premium, both SFG and BFP have had major QC issues, necks miss aligned, gouges taken out of neck wood etc etc. Its a complete hit or miss with the Premiums. out of the 6 I have had, 1 was awesome, the others far from ok and got sent back.

I could see if the premium Jems were only like $4-500 aud more why you would, but not a retail of $1000 aud or more, just because its a sig model.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
No, the JEM's do not have J Custom fret ends, because they're not J Customs.

On the 70SFG you don't have the vine inlay also? Edge, Dimarzio's, same grip/claw/angled jack. You think the "higher level" builder isn't working that line compared to the 950 line?

Again, where's your argument?

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
Still can't get over the price of the new Premium Jems and Universe, way more expensive then a similar Prestige is just crazy.
This is the statement you made that has zero argument.

Do Premiums have QC issues? Hell yes. Do MIJ have QC issues? Hell yes.

Do you forget they built VWH's for over 2 years that would not intonate and were glorified firewood? And that couldn't be fixed. String alignment on a Premium, that I can fix, it's just a pain.

Is Ibanez currently having an S shape Prestige neck problem where I'm basically rejecting almost 50+% on non signatures? The signatures, are just wonderful instruments. The RG and S's, are very difficult getting a good neck right now.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts