Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, Rich specifically, I've played a few Prestiges over the last 12-18mos and the feel of each fret job seems random so I can't figure out what makes THE prestige fret edge treatment.

I realize the maple necks don't have all the steps due to the clear coat process...but I can't figure out what the process IS in the first place. I've been looking on and off at a local RG5120, trying to wrap my head around it all. The fret sprout is pretty bad on that one, but probably not much worse than my S5570Q was before I took my sanding stick and Rich gave me some advice on making the fingerboard edges feel better.

Also what file/s should a guy have to try to clean up/round the fret ends? Living in Arkansas is rough on guitar necks. The StewMac sanding stick isn't made for too much of that kind of abuse.

Thanks!

Luke

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Alright guys, Rich specifically, I've played a few Prestiges over the last 12-18mos and the feel of each fret job seems random so I can't figure out what makes THE prestige fret edge treatment.

I realize the maple necks don't have all the steps due to the clear coat process...but I can't figure out what the process IS in the first place. I've been looking on and off at a local RG5120, trying to wrap my head around it all. The fret sprout is pretty bad on that one, but probably not much worse than my S5570Q was before I took my sanding stick and Rich gave me some advice on making the fingerboard edges feel better.

Also what file/s should a guy have to try to clean up/round the fret ends? Living in Arkansas is rough on guitar necks. The StewMac sanding stick isn't made for too much of that kind of abuse.

Thanks!

Luke
Premium fret ends are rounded, Prestige fret ends are straight with a steep angle. I would have thought rounded frets would take more time, but I don't prefer them and none of my high end guitars have rounded fret ends so I doubt it's seen as something preferable or worthwhile for guitar builders, probably because straighter fret ends give you more fret between the outside string and the drop off point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts