Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a second hand RG3120, produced in 2002. Based on some other pictures of the model, this guitar seems to have its knobs replaced. So I bought a set of genuine Ibanez knobs for this guitar, from a local Ibanez dealer.

When I removed the replacement knobs from my guitar to recover its originality, I found a strange thing. The guitar's potentiometers have "knurled" shaft, while the inside the new (original) knobs is not knurled. On the other hand the replacement knobs (not genuine) are knurled inside, and fit into potentiometers perfectly.

Is this normal for this model (and maybe some other prestige RGs)? Since my new knobs are genuine Ibanez parts, I am wondering if my potentiometers have also been replaced, or Ibanez slightly changed the inside of knobs while maintaining the same parts number.

Thanks in advance!

potentiometer parts number: 3VR1J500G / 3VR1J500D
- It looks like they have knurled shafs.

knobs part number 4KB1J1PC
- Unfortunately none of the images display the inside...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think only plastic knobs are knurled on the inside.
The metal ones don't but they have a little screw to tighten them.
I think thats why.

It could be that there are two types but on all my ibi's i have the knobs with the plain insides(both prestige and non prestige models)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh so is it normal for these guitars to have knurled shafts + plane knobs?

Did your guitars with 'plane knobs' have knurled shafts as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ibanez's stock pots on the more recent prestiges have non-splined pots, so the set screws on the knobs are necessary (you can use these on splined shaft pots too). Generally I repot all my guitars with CTS pots, which have the splines. Set screw and there's no issue, but now I can also put speed knobs on everything with no issue either (thanks Guthrie!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts