Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got myself the Ibanez RG08LTD with v7/v8 pickups in at the mo. Finally i am going to be purchasing new pickups! I listen and play mainly thrash metal with lots of chugga chugga. Also i like a nice shreddy tone for the neck pickup with good note articulation (think malmsteen smoothness).

I understand that a set of duncan distortions would probs do a pretty good job? Also considering the standard 81/85 combo but don't want to be restricted COMPLETELY in my playing. I find the duncan distortions a little plain looking, i really find blade style like the d activator x quite pretty, or even pickups with black pole pieces! Any recommendations of something passive that will do the same job as a set of duncan distortions?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, you all know more about pickups than me i expect :D x

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Dimarzio Super 3 comes in black pole pieces. I love this thing better than duncan distortion.
Duncan distortion somewhat felt 'too wet'. good for soloing, but a little bit much for 'djent'.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just done some reading up on it and the Super 3 seems like a good choice for my bridge position! What might be a recommended pair to go with it in the neck? I use my neck pickup for soloing more than my bridge, i need something articulate that can handle very high gain stuff!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Everyone says that the Liquifire is to die for. Myself included (and I'm NOT one of those people who puts a CL/LF set in every guitar they own. I don't even like the CL)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That liquifire sounds incredible that sound is exactly what im after! Do you think that would pair up ok with a D-Activator in the bridge?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts