Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how do you all determine how much money you will spend on a guitar that you will use as a project guitar? Do you prefer new or used, fixed bridge or locking trem, singles, or double humbuckers, 1 tone 1 volume or other. I am looking for my first opportunity to invest in a project guitar. I normally don't do it but I want to give it a shot. This guitar will be used only for low tunings and nothing else. I would like to keep my price $250-300 dollars and I will invest in a new axe. Basswood, alder or mahogany would be fine, 22 rosewood jumbo frets, fixed bridge and string thru would be great. Here is where I need the help I am a Fender guy and all I own is strats and tele's so all information would be great. A little fatter neck would be good to since I have become quite used to them. Name your choices and list them for me so I can do some research on all of them. I have narrowed my pickups to Dimarzio since I have always used them and trust them.

Evo 2 (b) Evo (n)
D-sonic (b) Paf (n)
Norton (b) Air Classic (n)

if they are vintage saddles I will order replacements for them as well so I can use graph tech I really like them too. Other than that I guess that is all the info I can provide at this time.

Thanks guys
Armando

·
Registered
883 Posts
You can probably nab an RG421MH (mahogany) for roughly that range. Fixed bridge, 25.5" scale, 2 humbuckers... 24 frets, though, I don't know if that's a sticking point.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I check the pawn shops now and again and if i se something cheap (like $100US) with my specks (2H, Floyd, 24 fret) ill take it and pimp it out a bit, new trem, dimarzios and convert the neckjoint to aanj. all this is usually about $300US. Any cheap ibys are great because all you have to do is pickups and maybe trem. And try and get 2nd hand parts as well, u can save so much money that way.

·
Registered
754 Posts
well he asked for 22 fret guitars, which elimates most of the rg line. i'd suggest something like a ernie ball musicman olp, which has 22 frets, H-H configuration and a basswood body with a quilt maple top. they are great little guitars for the money and you can mod them out til your heart's content.

if you are wanting to stick to the rg shape, you can get on e-bay and try to pick up an old rx model. they have 22 frets but they also have those standard string through trems (like strats). you can have those blocked off and they essentially become hardtail bridges.

both of those guitars have more strat like necks (as opposed to the wizards & wizard 2s). there are a ton of other options out there as well, but those are the ones that come to my mind.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
hmmm, I decide what I want then I spend as little money as possible without skimping on quality.

same as everyone else !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts