Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all!

I'm Tom. (and im a newbie :) ) lol anywayi've played guitar for about 4 years now maybe? not quite sure.. but i love it, and i've always loved the thought of acually making my own gutiar. Grade 12 this year (kinda scary) and well for one of my classes (tec studies -woodwork kinda thing with alot of designing) we were told we had the first half of the year to make whatever we wanted! only catch was we had to supply all the materials.. lol but i decided to make myself a guitar :)

I spent ages looking around on the net at different guitars and parts and designs and even trying to draw my own (but mine didnt quite work lol) anyway in the end i ended up deciding to make a jem... for a while. THEN i decided that i've only seen 1000 jems on the net.. so i though to myself.. hmm TELEJEM ! spontanious idea and i decided to go with it :D always loved t*l*casters... they just look kinda cool.. and with the awesomeness of the Jem its gota be like pure awesomeness yeah? haha well thats my thinking anyway...

Soo step one.. wood! had a look around for a while found a nice piece of Queensland maple for only $175 from australian luthier supplyes. Great service, only 2 days delivery! which i spose, i do live in queensland, but i was still happy.

Next step was the plans. One of my dads mates from work helped get me this printed on a niice big sheet of A1 :)

Soo with the help of my handy dandy school gluestick (stolen from my brother) i got the plans glue on and it suprisingly holds it down quite well!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CONTINUING... (only 7 pics per post... i had 3? hmm lol)

anyway at school the next day i started cutting! i used the schools bandsaw, which was intresting with such a blunt blade.. but with a bit of sanding it didnt turn out to bad at all. (notice my little design alter ;) )

i just left the bit near the neck there to make it abit easyer when routing the neck pocket, just for abit more support and a place to screw the routing "jig" down to.

Next, below, is the jig i used for routing the neck pocket.

umm might just have to ignore the chisel stabs in the centre.. for a while we were having routing problems.. and i had to start considering chiseling.. but luckily i found the bits i needed and got it nicely routed with the use of this.

and i must say... it was preety scary! lol :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but i got through it and it came up beautifully! :)

well, reasonably.. lol just had to fix the shape of it now, theres that random bumd kinda thing around the neck pocket, i dunno, it just looks abit random.. not quite right.

So with a little bit more sanding and shaping i came up with this. Which is where i decided to settle.

soo onto the neck holes! nothing special, just a drill straigh through.. lol but i got the back counter-sunk to fit the screw *bushings* not quite sure what they are called...

BTW- sorry for the whole past tense thing.. i started this a few weeks ago and just thought ide show how i got to where im at... makes it abit more intresting ;)

But yeaah thanks everyone for looking, please comment im open for all suggestions! still not sure what colour to paint it.. i like the kandy red though, could luk alright with the pearloid white and gold hardware.

MORE 2moro! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
BTW- sorry for the whole past tense thing.. i started this a few weeks ago and just thought ide show how i got to where im at... makes it abit more intresting ;)

But yeaah thanks everyone for looking, please comment im open for all suggestions! still not sure what colour to paint it.. i like the kandy red though, could luk alright with the pearloid white and gold hardware.

MORE 2moro! :)
Don't apologise for the use of the past tense, apologise for the typography!!! ;)

Complaints aside, I think this looks fantastic, I've never seen anyone manage to get a "supertele" body shape as spot on as this one looks! Well done.

Are you going with traditional Telecaster hardware or something different?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

I can't wait to see this when I get home. Everything is blocked here at work. Congrats on the build. Sounds like you're progressing well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
cheers guys, good to no its not to bad.. it was abit scary the thought of mashing a jem with a telecaster.. haha but i reckon it should turn out alright.

umm as for hardware it's going to be like the jem, (already have the neck) and then just all the gold jem hardware with, im not sure yet, either a set of dimarzio's or maybe some emg's. any thoughts what would sound nice with a maple body?

=]

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
Maple bodies tend to be quite bright. The only "guitar hero" I know of that likes a maple body on his guitar is George Lynch - so the Screamin Demon from Seymour Duncan might make a decent bridge humbucker.

You can also use the fun "pickup picker" on the Dimarzio website to help you choose :)

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
I think kwaka's got the outline right but that the FR2620 misses the boat in all teh subtle areas that kwaka's design gets spot on.

I also hate the aesthetics of the sort of Les Paul Jr or whatever that the FR has got going on. Simply not Tele enough for me :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
One problem with the pickup chooser is it doesn't offer maple as a body wood. If maple is quite bright, I'd go for a darker pickup to balance it out. Tone Zone / Breed combo, anyone?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice work and good project Tom!

This is a cool coincidence. We are about to release in a month or so, something very similar. We are doing a signature model for an American shredder, who requested a hybrid between an RG and Tele. There will be both 6 and 7 string versions, but the 7 will be released first. Our body is very similar, but the neck and headstock is custom for the signature model and will have our logo. Also the body has a striking finish (but not swirled LOL), and a clue is its a laminated top...

Concerning your pickups... don't be misled by the name Queensland "Maple". Its not like the North American maple, so I don't believe it will be anywhere near as bright in tone. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I'm led to believe it will be like many other Australian hardwoods (eg. Vic Mountain "Ash", and Tassie Blackwood) - there is nearly as much depth as Mahogany, but increased clarity. Best analogy being a Mahogany with Maple top... not that either to be exact but its the closest common example. It will be more agressive in tone. So I don't think you can go wrong with pickups, even brighter ones would sound good in this thing, like Evos. There is no way you could put Evos in a hard Maple body (not unless you wanted to make all the neighbourhood dogs ears bleed from the ultra highs :smile:), but in this thing they would likely scream. Check it out but I think you'll find "Maple" is very misleading.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers ET guitars

yeaah i've heard alot of mixed thoughts of the wood, and yours is definately the best explained! :)

but yes that is a cool coincidence, i was looking through some of the guitars on your site and there are some REAL beautifull peices of work there! im realy looking forward to see what yours looks like! specially with a laminated top ;)

cheers everyone, haha the pickup picker is indeed fun!

=]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update! :)

This is what i got done just a few days ago, im on a week holidays now ;)

Routing! Now this was the scary part.. but it didnt go to bad, we were having a lot of problems getting the correct router and bits from school.. but in the end i got what i needed and i got the pickups routed using this jig.

As you can see for the middle route (look abit like more of a soapbar pickup route) but with the amount of time we have to do this at school, and the resources it was alot easyer just to modify the humbucker jig and route the center pickup like that. It's all going to be under a pickgaurd anyway ;)

but thats all for now, should be a bit more progress mid next week when school goes back. =]

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Yeah Kwaka, the Luthier Supplies site has an explanation of what the Queensland Maple is similar to:

Flamed Queensland Maple has been used for many years in the Australian guitar industry. Australian guitar manufacturers Maton have used this timber for the backs, sides and necks of most of their steel string acoustic guitars for several decades. With a consistency much like Brazilian Mahogany it also works very well for electric guitars. Like any highly figured timber the highly figured blanks are prone to grain pull out during machining so sharp tools are a must.

Quality - We have the highest quality blanks of Queensland Maple available, the figure in the highly figured pieces is as good as it gets while the well figured pieces are still really nice.

Look - These blanks have a diagonal quilted figure which changes depending on the direction you look at it. Colour is generally a pinky orange but can have grey hues.

Sound - It is a light weight crisp timber like Honduras Mahogany, the more figured pieces are denser, which adds to the sustain of the completed guitar.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts