Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I picked up a Wilkinson-Gotoh VS100 trem used, so it doesn't have instructions or a mounting template. This is the 2-stud type that is the most common Wilkinson trem. By comparison with my other guitars, it appears that the studs should be positioned exactly in the location of the 2 outer stud holes on a standard 6-screw strat-style trem. It makes sense that they would do that, so as to make retrofitting a strat much easier. Can anyone confirm this before I enlarge those 2 holes?
Thanks,
Bert

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's what it is. Since the treble side is flat you can be a little off. Take a look at your string spacing, though, and see if the guitar could use a little bump to the left or right. When enlarging holes with a drill press you can usually get them to push a little to the left or right. So if you want to fix any string-centering issues now's the time. Of course you can always slant the saddles but then the bridge will look drunk.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
No, and when I do it, it varies slightly depending on the type of wood. It can be smaller in something like basswood or alder than in maple or mahogany. It also depends on how big and sharp the knurls are on the anchor, as to whether or not it will be compressing the wood or cutting little slots in it on the way down. But I'm just crazy like that. Measure the outside of the knurls and choos a bit 1/64" smaller and you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts