Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered has Ibanez stopped adding protective wrap to the cavity/control covers?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 2019 Jem jr that has film still.

I think they have gotten into the habit of trying to take them off, but who knows.

What I do know is that it's best to take them all off cause my 1990 rg550 had like a brownish white glue residue on it from the plastic aging and melting into the cavity cover on the back over the years.

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
Your 550 probably had brown paper protective on it which wears into looking like crappy anything, which doesn't come off.

It's kinda hit and miss, I don't remember when I see it or not, Indo definitely still has plastic, Fujigen mostly doesn't except the trem cover, if I remember right. I've got 15 to check in, I'll know for sure after :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Kenny, what did you respray, then polish it with?

I've got an '89 RG550 that I got a couple years ago from the original owner with the same situation.

But, it came with a Gibson Alpha series HSC [Qxxx/Qxxxx models]... because: Guitar Center

·
Registered
221 Posts
I didn't really do any thing special as far as what I used.

I just did a plain old black spray paint.
I think I used the "fancy" Rust-Oleum product. The one in the tall silver can.

I scuffed it up with a scotch bright pad first after sanding the glued and melted surface off.

Then I gave it a mist of black spray paint.
I deliberately let the orange peel thing happened then buffed it with automotive car wax.

Here is final result back on the body.
Water Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Vehicle door

I feel like it's pretty close to the other cavity.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Wood
Sky Automotive lighting Mouse Wood Tints and shades

I think if I had done a super thin clear coat and let that mist effect stay it would have been better, but for some reason all the clear coats I had in my paint closet were white.

So I may sand it down and try again one day but I think this is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies chaps, and nice job Kenny

Out of interest Rich, after you checked the 15 in, how many had the protective film? :)

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
Nothing on the con and jack covers, hit and miss on the trem covers. If there's a rhyme I don't know the reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts