Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its extremely hard to find prices on this guitars, forgive my ignorance, but i dont know much about them, how good are they? how expensive are they? which are the features that are "good" about them and "bad" about them (of course from your point of view). You guys think that will be enough for playing Fusion (Scott Henderson type of stuff) ? which models do you recommend me? thank you guys, and again, forgive my ignorance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,619 Posts
It all depends on what your tastes are. PRS are very, very high quality intruments. Even the cheaper Korean Special Edition PRS axes are of a good quality. There are loads of people that love them, especially the Tremonti and Soapbar models. They are lovely guitars.

Maybe some of the more recent models arent as good, but their late 80's early 90's models were outstanding. And as for pickups, I thought the Dragon series pickups were awesome. I had one in an old fat strat ages ago and I thought it was really nice, very meaty.

If you wanna ask anyone about PRS, ask Brent (bduersch). He sold off all of his Ibanez guitars to get PRS. Now thats really saying something. Check out his site for impressive collection pictures.

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/collections.html

PRS are high-price of course, but thats because they are of a very high quality and so much effort has gone into them. You cannot compare a proper PRS to say an RG5xx series. Not even in the same league. The PRS blows it out of the water, especially in terms of quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
I've got a PRS Archtop that I picked up in 2003. It's a fantastic guitar, pickups, setup, finish, everything.

The only other guitars I own that are close in quality, sound and playability are my EBMM JP7 and my custom shop Taylors.

Outstanding guitars. Granted, I don't like all of them, I've played more that I don't like than ones that I like (hence why I only own one). Like any guitar you just have to play a lot of'em to find one you like (just like most Ibanez's play pretty bad to me).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
I've played a PRS in a music store plus, a friend of mine had one. I was very impressed with the way they played and sounded but they're way too expensive.
I'd buy another UV before I'd get a PRS. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
the.godfather said:
It all depends on what your tastes are. PRS are very, very high quality intruments. Even the cheaper Korean Special Edition PRS axes are of a good quality. There are loads of people that love them, especially the Tremonti and Soapbar models. They are lovely guitars.

Maybe some of the more recent models arent as good, but their late 80's early 90's models were outstanding. And as for pickups, I thought the Dragon series pickups were awesome. I had one in an old fat strat ages ago and I thought it was really nice, very meaty.

If you wanna ask anyone about PRS, ask Brent (bduersch). He sold off all of his Ibanez guitars to get PRS. Now thats really saying something. Check out his site for impressive collection pictures.

http://studio.naughtybutterspoon.com/collections.html

PRS are high-price of course, but thats because they are of a very high quality and so much effort has gone into them. You cannot compare a proper PRS to say an RG5xx series. Not even in the same league. The PRS blows it out of the water, especially in terms of quality.
A PRS with a pickguard?????????????????

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
dangomles said:
Its extremely hard to find prices on this guitars, forgive my ignorance, but i dont know much about them, how good are they? how expensive are they? which are the features that are "good" about them and "bad" about them (of course from your point of view). You guys think that will be enough for playing Fusion (Scott Henderson type of stuff) ? which models do you recommend me? thank you guys, and again, forgive my ignorance
We've got a PRS here at my house- I guess I'll offer my opinion on these points:

A. Price: PRS are grossly overpriced, much like Gibsons. The story here as that among guitarists PRS became a bit of a status symbol near the end of the 90's. The gaudy flamed top and abalone inlays became more and more important and the prices got silly. Typically, if I see a PRS on sale in a store- I take the asking price, divide by three and add a little. As an example, our PRS Custom 24 10 top was listed at $3499.99. Divide that by three: approx $1,116. Add a few hundred: $1400 which is what it sold for. So don't be fooled by the ridiculous asking prices.

B. Quality: These guitars feel very solid and are typically very well made. I could count on one hand the number of PRS I've seen with quality control problems. However, they don't all play great. You really should play every one you can to get a feel for whether you like them.

C. Playability: This is the most subjective area- but I honestly don't like the feel of the PRS. The lacquered neck and the clunky body are just the total opposite of what a great guitar should be to me. Additionally, the pickups are very flat. This is totally my opinion, but I figured I'd offer it.

One nice thing about PRS- if you don't like it- you can probably sell it for the price you bought it at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
jem7vwh said:
We've got a PRS here at my house- I guess I'll offer my opinion on these points:

A. Price: PRS are grossly overpriced, much like Gibsons. The story here as that among guitarists PRS became a bit of a status symbol near the end of the 90's. The gaudy flamed top and abalone inlays became more and more important and the prices got silly. Typically, if I see a PRS on sale in a store- I take the asking price, divide by three and add a little. As an example, our PRS Custom 24 10 top was listed at $3499.99. Divide that by three: approx $1,116. Add a few hundred: $1400 which is what it sold for. So don't be fooled by the ridiculous asking prices.

B. Quality: These guitars feel very solid and are typically very well made. I could count on one hand the number of PRS I've seen with quality control problems. However, they don't all play great. You really should play every one you can to get a feel for whether you like them.

C. Playability: This is the most subjective area- but I honestly don't like the feel of the PRS. The lacquered neck and the clunky body are just the total opposite of what a great guitar should be to me. Additionally, the pickups are very flat. This is totally my opinion, but I figured I'd offer it.

One nice thing about PRS- if you don't like it- you can probably sell it for the price you bought it at.
Well spoken :).

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Joe Vai said:
where is the best place to buy a Prs?
As with anything else- it depends on what you want.

Best price is almost always going to come from a huge chain store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Best service is almost always going to come from a boutique or specialty distributor. http://www.prsforums.com is a good place to check for seasoned folks who can recommend the best.

I would also recommend thinking about a used PRS. With their big price tags, these things get babied and a used one is often nearly perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jem7vwh said:
I would also recommend thinking about a used PRS. With their big price tags, these things get babied and a used one is often nearly perfect.
Thats true....

Ok, ive been checking the PRS site , and i have noticed they have lots and lots of models! im looking for nice fat tone(wouldnt mind changing pickups) and playability, comfourtable, for playing 6 or 7 hours per day, i need to do fast runs, i mean, not like rusty cooley's run, but you know what i mean, oh, of course ... which models do you recommend me?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
I find PRS too overpriced. They always sound like crap, and usually don't even play well.

For $5000 you can buy an upper model PRS. For $2000 you can buy a Les Paul Standard which is a comprable guitar (and if you get one with a good neck, a bit better!) and for $2300 you can buy a 58 Custom Shop reissue Les Paul that is much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
"Gaudy flamed top.."

What? :lol:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. A piece of wood that occurs the way it is in nature is "gaudy".

I'm far from a PRS fanoi, but I love quality tonewoods. I'd take a nice, well-playing guitar made of "gaudy" flamed maple any day. IMO, JEM's, in almost all of their inceptions, are far "gaudier".

Decoration added for the sake of decoration (and nothing else) is the basic implied definition of what gaudy is (and that's all JEM's really are for the most part).

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so, for ...lets say $3.000 - 3.500 whay would you guys recommend me?
I already have a RG1570 Prestige, gorgeous, extremely versatile, BUT! , this may sound weird, but i want a guitar that isnt versatile at all, i just want a guitar that plays Jazz Fusion perfectly ,nothing more, nothing less...
What do you guys think about Suhr guitars? i dont care to save for some money, i just want a good guitar
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top