Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guyz,

I can get the Mira and the Berlin Pro for the money.
But I can't choose.
Which one has the best quality?
Best Hardware?
Best wood?
And the best sound? (in your opinion)

I'm playing Brit-pop (PinkFloyd), Metal (Metallica, Dream theater) and Rock (Gary Moore, Kansas)

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Mira.

The Eggles do not have a good rep for build quality and sound. Once you get beyond the vintage looks, the Mira is a tone machine. Pony up the extra cash and get the korina one, if you can still find one.

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
The Eggles do not have a good rep for build quality and sound.
Depending on the era of manufacture, I could not disagree more!!! The old Eggles were as good as PRS guitars in terms of woods and maufacturing but sounded so much more open and less restrained. I spent some time at the Eggle factory (I think back when Phil Norsworthy was running the custom shop) and I've seen Eggles from the 90's with tops that would make a PRS 10 top blush with embarrasment.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Depending on the era of manufacture, I could not disagree more!!! The old Eggles were as good as PRS guitars in terms of woods and maufacturing but sounded so much more open and less restrained. I spent some time at the Eggle factory (I think back when Phil Norsworthy was running the custom shop) and I've seen Eggles from the 90's with tops that would make a PRS 10 top blush with embarrasment.
Why is this relevant? Someone buying a new guitar doesn't care about how they made guitars back in the 90s. My comment was in regards to this point in time....and this point in time they do not have a good reputation.

And who cares about the top? I could find a slab of high grade figured maple that is better than a PRS 10 top and try to build a guitar. It doesn't mean its going to play or sound very good.

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
I've not personally tried an Eggle for a few years (their distribution sucks) so maybe they have decreased in quality, I'm glad you have them in the USA though to try.

I figured as someone who's had a lot of hands on past experience with Eggles (even though it's not bang up to date) and PRS I might actually be able to offer quite a bit to the thread rather than relying on the internet rumours of "reputation". I'll just leave the OP to his decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.