Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am buying a RGT42FM, this axe has a mahogany body and a maple veneer
i am used to basswood and wanted to know what dimarzio or duncan will sound best in mahogany?
i use the duncan customs in all my ROADSTAR II guitar which have a basswood/ birch body and a pro rocker trem.
the customs sound friggin great in the RS's but will it sound as good in mahogany?

also i have not heard the stock INF 1 and 2? are these any good?
some say they are and actually sound like dimarzio's ?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The INF's are okay, you'll have to see what you think after spending some time with them. I just took Evo's out of a guitar with INF's and put the INF's back in, because the guy wants to sell the guitar and keep the Evos. Guess what? I think the INF's sounded better. But that's me, and I'm not an Evo fan anyway.

In the bridge, the Custom will sound great in that guitar as well as your Roadstars. You could go for a Custom Custom in the Mahogany one to give you some different character. And it will add back some of the upper mids that are LOST in the neck through construction. Remember there's a big Maple log running down the core of that guitar. So it's going to sound very different than a Mahogany bolt-on RG. It's not an "all Mahogany body" you're dealing with. If it were bolt-on, I would have said stick with the Custom, because you don't want to add that smooth midrange from the CC. Mahogany has a lot of that midrange naturally. But with your neck through, I think the CC would be better. But both are going to be great.

A lot of guys like the JB in Mahogany, but remember the Maple neck through. The JB is too screechy in a Maple neck through IMO. Especially if you like the Custom in your Roadstars.

From Dimarzio, pickups like the Fred, Norton, and TZ are all good choices, progressively smoother. When people say the TZ is too thick sounding for Mahogany, it shouldn't apply in your case with the neck through.

In the neck, all your standards are usable. Although I'd recommend the Dimarzio Super 2. It's going to cut down the "nasal" sound of the neck position on that guitar. A PAF Pro or Breed could be too smooth. (if that makes any sense) The PRS Vintage Bass pickup would be superb there, and visually match the Duncans. Also the Duncan Jazz, or Full Shred neck would be great.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frankfalbo said:
The INF's are okay, you'll have to see what you think after spending some time with them. I just took Evo's out of a guitar with INF's and put the INF's back in, because the guy wants to sell the guitar and keep the Evos. Guess what? I think the INF's sounded better. But that's me, and I'm not an Evo fan anyway.

In the bridge, the Custom will sound great in that guitar as well as your Roadstars. You could go for a Custom Custom in the Mahogany one to give you some different character. And it will add back some of the upper mids that are LOST in the neck through construction. Remember there's a big Maple log running down the core of that guitar. So it's going to sound very different than a Mahogany bolt-on RG. It's not an "all Mahogany body" you're dealing with. If it were bolt-on, I would have said stick with the Custom, because you don't want to add that smooth midrange from the CC. Mahogany has a lot of that midrange naturally. But with your neck through, I think the CC would be better. But both are going to be great.

A lot of guys like the JB in Mahogany, but remember the Maple neck through. The JB is too screechy in a Maple neck through IMO. Especially if you like the Custom in your Roadstars.

From Dimarzio, pickups like the Fred, Norton, and TZ are all good choices, progressively smoother. When people say the TZ is too thick sounding for Mahogany, it shouldn't apply in your case with the neck through.

In the neck, all your standards are usable. Although I'd recommend the Dimarzio Super 2. It's going to cut down the "nasal" sound of the neck position on that guitar. A PAF Pro or Breed could be too smooth. (if that makes any sense) The PRS Vintage Bass pickup would be superb there, and visually match the Duncans. Also the Duncan Jazz, or Full Shred neck would be great.
damn frank you know your stuff bro! LOL!!!
listen i thought the neck on the RGT42 was maple/walnut?
I am going for a tight,thick tone that still has mucho clarity and the custom in my RS's have that and more
I also have one custom that i put a larger ceramic magnet in from a duncan distortion and this ONE custom is huge sounding like a tone zone
but has great clarity and is not muddy at all.
I think i prefer the duncan stuff over dimarzio due to the way the duncans seem to maintain a certain "vintageyness" even with thier higher output models
the DIMARZIO stuff is real good but very modern sounding?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The Custom with the Distortion magnet would probably be cool in that guitar. The laminates in the neck are of no consequence. The main point is simply that it is neck through. But it's not like the little walnut stripes between the laminates are making the neck "sound like Walnut". It just adds to the stiffness of the sound, and the muted mids by adding more laminates. It increases sustain, though, so it's a fair trade off.

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frankfalbo said:
The Custom with the Distortion magnet would probably be cool in that guitar. The laminates in the neck are of no consequence. The main point is simply that it is neck through. But it's not like the little walnut stripes between the laminates are making the neck "sound like Walnut". It just adds to the stiffness of the sound, and the muted mids by adding more laminates. It increases sustain, though, so it's a fair trade off.
oh i see
frank thanks for all your help and i was wondering in a off topic question can a retrofit a OFR on this guitar without any modding?
I hear the edge pro II is not all that great?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.