Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I'm contemplating on getting a push/pull pot (on my RG550) to switch between my neck and bridge pu, like what george lynch uses. I don't have the middle pu anymore and i never use the middle position on my 3-way switch.
Anyway, anyone use this as well? How easy is it switch? Pros or cons? And would you recommend it?

thanks

jeff

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The push-Pull thing is a little wierd to get used to at first. I used to have a Caparison Horus with that switching system. I find it a little slow to switch from bridge to neck, but going from neck to bridge was fast. Other than that another drawback is that you can only have either neck or bridge pickups and no other combinations. I would just use a Two-way or 3-way toggle switch 'cause I'm used to whacking the $#!T out of my switches with my pinky.

(The switching system was one of the reasons why I sold that Caparison Horus I had, great guitar, just took a bit to get used to.. well the switching system and the 27 frets.)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks -
Ignore my ignorance, but I was under the assumption that the only 2-way switch available are the mini switch (on/on). However this would not fit in any of my holes in my pickguard, correct?

thanks

jeff

·
Banned
50 Posts
another drawback is that after a while, your knobs wear out. this is because of the constant pulling. i dunno why, but they start to become a bit loose. so like say after a certain period of time, when you pull on the pot, the knob comes off (really easily) and falls to the floor or in your lap. its not SUCH a problem if your practicing but it can be a bit annoying and embarassing live (if seems like your guitar is falling appart!)

i dunno if it was just my guitar, but i would assume its the same everywhere, mainly because that kind of movement wears it out.

the push/pull pot i have is the emg 89 push/pull pot. im using it to switch between single coil and humbucker. i initially was gonna use it as a selector like you, but i thought it would be too slow like someone else said.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Depends on whether you are using metal dome knobs with a set screw or plastic strat style knobs. The plastic ones do wear out, and are harder to pull out because they are sloped. The metal ones with set screws may need to be tightened every once in a while, but shouldn't wear out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Actually, why not a push push pot?

Spring operated. No need to pull, its faster.

Granted, you might not be able to tell visually what position its in (you still can but its not as obvious) and the thing will wear out faster....

But its not costly and can be replaced like what, ever year?

available at universaljems or has-sound

·
Registered
663 Posts
Shredcows said:
Granted, you might not be able to tell visually what position its in..
I think that is a major drawback of push/pushs.
My story: Stage light, bad stage speakers.. and me realising afterwards that I just played 20 minutes with the coil split on ;) . Whereas on push/pulls, you can blindly make sure in which position they're in.. just by testing them with your hand.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
jclogston said:
Hi-
I have the usual vintage knob found on all rg550s.
Would that work?

thanks again buddroyce - Always there for help/answers!!!

jeff
No problem man, glad to help it gives me a reason to spend more time on Jemsite...

The standard knobs found on an RG550 would work fine. (well they came with both push-on and set-screw knobs depending on the year, but you shouldn't have any problems with that). If you're going to do up your guitar you can also get some knobs like the ones from Q-Parts to give your guitar some 'bling'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.