Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
They arent harder to turn? Not for me anyway. Could be because of the spring that holds the shaft down so it doesnt just fall in and out by itself.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guitar has a push/push knob which feels different than the volume knob. The latter is looser. It's not a HUGE difference but a noticable one, nevertheless. It could also just be because I use the volume knob so much more often than the tone knob. But yeah, the spring crossed my mind as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I thought it was just pot luck

(pun very much intended)

I buy all my pots are from the same place, some of them are just that little bit stiffer than others, regardless of push/pull or not.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:

Hey, would you perhaps be willing to share where you buy your pots? And also do you have a preference for a particular brand? :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
yeah, i am interested in this push/push. im not familiar with those. is it DPDT like a push/pull? and as myst said, where do ya get em? thanks.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what DPDT exactly means but they are that, yes. At least that's what I gather from this, for instance:

http://www.warmoth.com/Push-Push-Pot-500k-with-DPDT-Switch-On-On-P732.aspx

Push/push has my preference by far. I can split the pickup so much faster which is so much more practical and comfortable. I've heard some people claim they are inferior to push/pulls. Because supposedly they switch on by themselves, so to speak, after a while. But I've never really experienced that in the ten years I've had mine.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey, would you perhaps be willing to share where you buy your pots? And also do you have a preference for a particular brand? :)
I tend to use CTS, bought from Axesrus.com. Good prices and free shipping to the UK.

DPDT means Double Pole Double Throw, which I think is equivalent to 2 in 2 out. I looked it up on wikipedia a while ago and learnt a lot, but have now forgotten it all...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah CTS is very good. I'm actually having those put on my new custom guitar that Jaden is going to build for me.

There's a lot to pots. I've read the specs of RS Guitarworks' superpots. And there's a truckload of things you can adjust/change/choose. Brass or aluminum shafts, "silk-screening" vs. a "heavy carbon" resistance path etc. It's interesting stuff. But I don't really understand much of these technical things. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts