Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Thank you all for being so patient with all my questions and kindly giving me tips, tricks and advices on how to get things done.

As a read some threads in this forum I discovered that one of my neglected guitars still has a future... An easy revival, so to speak, and I decided to take matters about that.

To my own shame, I discovered that I never really cleaned that guitar in over 10 years I own it. Every time I used it, I cleaned the sweat and dust off the body and strings with a dry cloth or towel but that was about it. It was starting to affect the look of the guitar. You guys inspired me to take better care of it and that's how I spent my day today.

I cleaned the body with guitar polisher, took the buttons out and cleaned there, used an old tooth brush on the tremolo, cleaned the trem cavity, removed the strings and cleaned the headstock, removed the truss rod cover and cleaned in there too. I did not take any of the hardware becuase I though it was too much for a novice.

Then I took special care of the neck. Here are the pics:

Headstock cleaned and ready.

I used a half gallon bottle cap to keep the tremolo steady when I took the strings out. I learned that here.

Here you can see some dirt on the frets and fingerboard.

Taped the whole neck with masking tape.

Using a Razor (box-cutter) I cut the tape leaving only the frets out. Then cleaned them using car color restorer/polishing compound I bought to use it on my other guitar.

This needed a lot of rubbing, and I'm not talking about the car compound.

Frets done. This pic does not do justice. But there is a big difference. I used a steel wool on some frets that presented corrosion. Learned that here too. Now goes the fingerboard.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Fingerboard done. I cleaned it using the same guitar cleaner/polisher I used for the body.

The grain of the rosewood could be seen here... If I had taken the pictures using a camera instead of my phone... But you get the idea. No dirt anymore, Yeahhhh!!!!

First application of Lemon Oil. Since I had never done it before in 10 years I placed 2 drops on each fret from 1-12, then 1 drop from 13-25 (yeah, I'm counting the edge of the neck as a fret). I rubbed it using my index fingertip. I'd let it sit there for over an hour. When it was dry I did it again but half the amount of oil on each fret. Ok, a drop can't be divided in half , so I used a single drop for 2 or 3 frets from 13 to the end.

Neck Done and new strings on. The rosewood looks almost black now. It was really pale and had some white stains when I started.

The whole guitar finished.

Next time I have a break I'm gonna try your advices to repair the chips on the body. I'll post the pics in this thread too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts